Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro install or noob install?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro install or noob install?

WHATS UP PEEPS!
i have a 2011 jeep jku Rubicon.

i have a question for your suggestions!

i want to install a
-2.5" teraflex SPRING LIFT KIT
-RC FRONT ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR
-RANCHO CORRECTION BRACKETS

now, shop's around me are charging 600-700 for installation ONLY,
is it hard to **** up a lift kit install?
if i do it my self what can go wrong & are the correction brackets hard to install properly?

after i install everything what should i do next? get it aligned & tire roation (running nitto grappler 35's)

might save 600-700$ but will it be worth it? is it better to have a shop do it? :dontk now:
Old 11-17-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Installation is not hard if you have basic mechanical skills and a decent set of hand tools. I have installed two lifts in my driveway and assisted a buddy with is. The key is really basic follow the direction. Also YpuTube has a fast amount of how to videos. I used one to replace my clutch. Just make sure you torque everything appropriately.

Oh last thing make sure you have a good floor jack and jack stands.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

yeah im currently going to school to get certified as a master collision tech so they teach us everything about the cars before going to collision so i have some what a decent knowledge and have a buddy who will assist he has 7+ years working in a mechanic shop with diesel trucks.

yeah all the jacks and stands are good to go, heavy duty, & ill be able to get the torque spec's to torque correctly, & what would you recommend after, getting it aligned and etc? thanks !

Originally Posted by Canvas
Installation is not hard if you have basic mechanical skills and a decent set of hand tools. I have installed two lifts in my driveway and assisted a buddy with is. The key is really basic follow the direction. Also YpuTube has a fast amount of how to videos. I used one to replace my clutch. Just make sure you torque everything appropriately.

Oh last thing make sure you have a good floor jack and jack stands.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

you can do it!!! that 700 bucks can buy you a winch (if you don't already have one). its just time consuming. invite a friend over to help and get some beer. Don't rush it and take your time. AND TORQUE EVERY BOLT ACCORDINGLY...
Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

yeah this is what im going to do! **** it! might as well learn how to do shit on my own & on my OWN rig

700$ is a pretty penny, and can go into something else.

Originally Posted by Carbon
you can do it!!! that 700 bucks can buy you a winch (if you don't already have one). its just time consuming. invite a friend over to help and get some beer. Don't rush it and take your time. AND TORQUE EVERY BOLT ACCORDINGLY...
Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dark_jku
yeah this is what im going to do! **** it! might as well learn how to do shit on my own & on my OWN rig . 700$ is a pretty penny, and can go into something else.
Make sure you put the rear upper control arms on with the right orientation haha. Don't over torque your wheels. Expect it to take longer than what you think. Oh and get some PB blaster!

Some of my mistakes
Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

SEE! you got technical there with me how do i do that lol!

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Make sure you put the rear upper control arms on with the right orientation haha. Don't over torque your wheels. Expect it to take longer than what you think. Oh and get some PB blaster!

Some of my mistakes
Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a decent selection of air tools, and with beer breaks, had my 2.5 RK lift installed with lower control arms in the front in 3 hours.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Kudos to being willing to do it yourself! You learn so much more doing your own work than you do dropping it off at a shop and picking it up later. Doing your own work gets you familiar with the set up.....and later one if/when a problem arises, you can easily troubleshoot it.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

exactly why i want to do it my self, and to save the money

Originally Posted by resharp001
Kudos to being willing to do it yourself! You learn so much more doing your own work than you do dropping it off at a shop and picking it up later. Doing your own work gets you familiar with the set up.....and later one if/when a problem arises, you can easily troubleshoot it.

Quick Reply: Pro install or noob install?