Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp Xterrain vs Duratracs (my first jeep)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Falken Wildpeaks or rocky mountain'ds run quiet on the road and perform great in the rocks. They're not that expensive either.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AggressivePooch
Pro comp is having a sale now by 3 get the 4th free, I was going to buy 5
ProComp is always running this special and almost seems to be year round buy 3 get 4th free. I have never used them so cant say pro or con on them, but can say that you hardly hear of many people in this forum running them. I dont know if thats a indicator or not. But I wouldnt rush to buy them based on that sale, because itll be there again, and do the research to get whats best and gonna last!.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more vote for Duratrac... I am still amazed at how quiet they are zipping down the highway at 70 MPH... Decent off road as well...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

Duratracs no question about it. Made in USA, great mileage out of tire, little to no road noise and if you join tread lightly.org you can get a $100 rebate on 4 or more GY wrangler tires. I shopped and got the best price at discount tire direct. $1165 shipped for 5 tires after rebate. 315/70r-17's (35's).

Save the headaches. I shopped and read for 3 months...best all around tire money can buy...period.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
Duratracs no question about it. Made in USA, great mileage out of tire, little to no road noise and if you join tread lightly.org you can get a $100 rebate on 4 or more GY wrangler tires. I shopped and got the best price at discount tire direct. $1165 shipped for 5 tires after rebate. 315/70r-17's (35's).

Save the headaches. I shopped and read for 3 months...best all around tire money can buy...period.
What do those tires actually measure when mounted? I'm trying to decide if I should step up to the "35" from my "33".

Also, I say get the duratracs. I've been very happy with mine and will be buying them again and again. Just be prepared to hunt them down. It appears that they sell out real quick.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Duratracs we have them on the wifes JKU and they are a great all around. We had the Procomps on her 06 TJ and they wore out fast and sucked in the snow.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be able to get you a measurement mounted but not on the Jeep in about 1hr!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Duratrac 315/75 16's sit at 33 3/4" inflated at 28 psi. Just for comparison, the 35/12.50 17 MT/R Kevlars sat at 34 1/4" at 28 psi.

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
What do those tires actually measure when mounted? I'm trying to decide if I should step up to the "35" from my "33".

Also, I say get the duratracs. I've been very happy with mine and will be buying them again and again. Just be prepared to hunt them down. It appears that they sell out real quick.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my latest issue of JP Magazine (March 2012) and it has a review of 37 tires ... might want to take a look at it. They rated each of the tires by use: Street, Heavy Rock, Sand, Snow, Mud, & Ice. Plus, a write up on their impressions ... found it pretty useful since I'm needing to buy tires this spring when I take the snow tires off.

Here is the write up on both ... sounds like the JP editors like the Duratech better ... hope it helps (note: no personal experience with either tire).

Ratings are low of 1 and high of 5.

Pro Comp Xterrain
RATINGS -- Street: 3 Heavy Rock: 3 Sand: 3 Snow: 3 Mud: 3 Ice: 1
The Xterrain is a radial tire with up to three polyester sidewall piles. We're told the individual plies are thicker than normal and woven tightly to provide greater puncture resistance than other 3-ply tires. The tread design is very aggressive with its broad lugs situated in a paddle-like arrangement. Sipes are include in the tread blocks to adi traction on wet and icey roads. The sidewalls, while containing ample rubber to ward off punctures, still flex in the rocks when aired down. The whole package works phenomenally well in mud, snow, and sand. Our biggest complaint is with the tires high noise level on payvement. Not to say that the Xterrain is excessively noisy on-road, it's just a little louder than we'd have expected.

Goodyear Duratrac
RATINGS -- Street: 3 Heavy Rock: 3 Sand: 3 Snow: 4 Mud: 4 Ice: 2
One of the most agressive all terrain tires we've seen from Goodyear, we think the Duratrac blurs the lines between all terrain and mud terrain. As such, our staffers subjected the tire to a whole assortment of surfaces including rocks, sand, snow, mud, and ice. The pattern stood up to heavy rains and ice-covered asphalt, and returned a quiter than average road noise. In conclusion, the tread scores highest in snow and ice traction -- probably because of the plethora of muli-angle siping on every lug. However, the pattern also proved worthy of mud, sand, and rock. Just don't get too deep into rocks with sharp edges as the compound will chip and cut easily an the 2-ply sidewall are more vulnerable than you might expect. For a daily-driven weekend warrior, these tires are a great choice.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 12-31-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goeagles88

That's an amazing price. I was just shopping for 33s (285/70R17) and looked at the Duratracs through Discount Tire. In my size they were $283, in your size it looks like $297. By my math and accounting for the $50 forum discount and $100 tread lightly I figure your cost should have been $1335 or $267 a tire. How did you manage to get $1165? I just placed an order for Nitto Terra Grapplers with DTD at because I couldn't swing the Duratracs. Now you are making me think I missed something. .

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Xterrain vs Duratracs (my first jeep)