Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp Xterrain vs Duratracs (my first jeep)

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pro Comp Xterrain vs Duratracs (my first jeep)

So I have been rocking a 2010 JK 2DR since august and I've had a little off-road fun since then and now I am looking into upgrades.
My first observation, after browsing around a few forums, is that I am a newb in every since of the word when it comes to wheeling so I am taking it slow and just starting with tires. Pro comp is having a sale now by 3 get the 4th free, I was going to buy 5, and that got me looking at the Pro Comp Xterrain Tires, which I cannot find anything negative about, but as far as best daily driver/ offroad tires everyone is saying either nitto trial grappler or, even more so, Duratracs. I'm stuck on price so nittos are out and I'm looking at pouncing on the Xterrains, Duratracs are a bit more pricey. how well would these run without spacers? would they at all? If there are people out there who have some insight on this I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duratracts im happy with mine
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

I am going with Duratacs myself. Did my research and they seem to be the best tire for me. Just installed my 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers today and they look awesome.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AggressivePooch
So I have been rocking a 2010 JK 2DR since august and I've had a little off-road fun since then and now I am looking into upgrades.
My first observation, after browsing around a few forums, is that I am a newb in every since of the word when it comes to wheeling so I am taking it slow and just starting with tires. Pro comp is having a sale now by 3 get the 4th free, I was going to buy 5, and that got me looking at the Pro Comp Xterrain Tires, which I cannot find anything negative about, but as far as best daily driver/ offroad tires everyone is saying either nitto trial grappler or, even more so, Duratracs. I'm stuck on price so nittos are out and I'm looking at pouncing on the Xterrains, Duratracs are a bit more pricey. how well would these run without spacers? would they at all? If there are people out there who have some insight on this I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
I have had a few sets of Xterrains on my Ram 3/4 ton and jeep plus running the XA/t right now on the truck. good wear on both.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xterrains are mediocre off-road (depending on the terrain) and pretty bad on-road.

Duratracs are good to great off-road (depending on the terrain) and fantastic on-road.

If you're considering a Pro Comp tire because you want to take advantage of the sale, look into the Xtreme M/T. Like the Duratrac they're a very well-rounded tire; a bit more aggressive off-road, but with the expected tradeoffs on-road. I liked mine, but the Duratracs are better for my dual-purpose needs.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

The Xterrains will be horrible in Colorado snow, on the streets at least.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I read where you have to jump through a bought of hoop for the buy 3, get one free deal. Read the fine print!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Xrerrain ATs on my TJ and they've been great in CO and TX. 40k warranty, stay balanced and generally a well rounded tire.

I would put a set on my JK if they had a size I wanted.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

BFGs All the way. KM1s not 2s
Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the pro-comps on my 03 but i have the Goodyear Duratracs on my 09 and hands down the duratrac is a better tire,putting them on my wifes '10 liberty soon....great tire...good luck on your choice and welcome to wheeling!!!

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Xterrain vs Duratracs (my first jeep)