Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro comp stage one lift

Old 07-09-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro comp stage one lift

Hello everyone. I know it sounds like the typical "which lift" question.
So here goes:
I love wheelin. Trails, Boggs, streams. Etc. mostly abandoned muddy roads.
Got my rubi high centred a couple of weeks ago. I'm not used to this. Lol my last ram rolled on 40's!
So when I saw the pro comp 4" matched with the rubi's goodies and some knobbie 35's, it all sounds good.
Anyone have experience with this setup?
My old tj had a performance accessories lift on 35" thornbirds. Did pretty well until the tires got packed with clay.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stuck right to the top of this modified area are two threads, Thought On Lifts and FAQ's. Probably a really, really good place to start.

I will also guess that you chose that particular lift after a stop at your local 4wp?

Read the stickes so you know what you are looking at with a 4" lift, then break down the specific components to see if it offers everything that you will want. Including some form of caster correction, probably some form of steering correction, and get an idea of what you want to do if/when you lose a driveshaft. You should also pick up on the fact that you don't need a 4" lift for 35's. So you could also consider a 2.5" and flat flares to keep the expenses down?

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-09-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

I had a procomp 2.5" with 35's and it was plenty of lift, you don't need 4"....

I also got rid of that procomp lift after a year because it was crap...rough as hell and after I started learning about things I realized that it is VeRY incomplete.

If you like wasting money, go for it. If not, the. Look around and be prepared to spend more on something of quality that you will be happy with.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

If 35's are the tire you want I'd go 2.5 - 3.5 inch kit. I have a 3.5 with my 35's snd I rarely high center anymore. I went rough country cause it was cheap and if you just opt out of their shocks and get some nice ones its not bad at all
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Pro Comp 4" stage II and it works just fine for me. I chose it over the stage I because it was a more complete kit, with brake line drop brackets, rear sway bar relocation brackets and the like. The biggest complaint I hear is the harsh ride. The basic shocks (something 9000) don't have great damping which I think may be why folks bitch about the lift. I have the adjustable MX6's set on the soft side and it rides fine. Folks speak highly of the Bilstein 5100's so those should be worth considering.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:38 AM
JK Junkie

Incomplete for 4" of lift .. Most bolt on kits are. W/ a 4 door id go max 3.5 with a 35". A good progressive coil to handle weight and allow more droop without unseating. RK, MC, Synergy are reputable brands.
A good shock is important too. Bilstien 5100's, OME, I run Rancho 9000's. Sorta like the MX6 but more adjustment. Good luck.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. Not new to the lifted community. I HATE the stuffed look of 2" lift on 35's. And driveshafts being lost? Really ? Lol. Get them modded. I've run rough Country in an 09 silverado. Never will I use their crap again. I've run pro comp in a '00 silverado and put tons of hard miles on it. Rough rides ? Lol short wheel base + taller height = rough ride. I didn't buy a Cherokee for a reason.
What I'm looking for is someone who actually used this lift before. What went other then u -joints?
So two big things are 1 f rough country and their grade A crap and
2 f stuffed jeeps. I want ground clearance and wheel clearance. Lol
Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, driveshafts. There are plenty of threads here about the stock rzeppas wearing through and slinging grease from the steeper angles of taller lift, and ripping the slip-shaft boot from contact with the skid, and even peeling the corner of the tranny pan.

But you have lifted full size trucks before, so you are an expert on the JK's. Got it...

As noted above, the two threads stuck to the top of this area have some good info in them.

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah look under your jeep. If you have stock shafts then you have no u-joints.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Junkie

Unlike earlier jeeps the Jk has more then enough tire clearance stock. I've seen people fit a 35" tire stock (now that's stuffed) lol
Fwiw ... Id run RC over Procomp.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

Quick Reply: Pro comp stage one lift