Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro-Comp SHocks

Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Comp SHocks

I recently purchased Pro-Comp MX6 shocks for my 2008 Rubicon. I have had three rear shocks go bad on me, the upper bushings totally tear apart. Does anyone know what might cause this? I have not been doing and radical off roading and according to the literature they are the ones for a 3" loft..
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Default bushings

Originally Posted by sandman
I recently purchased Pro-Comp MX6 shocks for my 2008 Rubicon. I have had three rear shocks go bad on me, the upper bushings totally tear apart. Does anyone know what might cause this? I have not been doing and radical off roading and according to the literature they are the ones for a 3" loft..
I have ProComp MX6 shocks and the bushings went bad on front the 1st time i traveled and went off-road. Shop replaced with a different poly bushing and so far so good.

Probably didn't help when they put my lift on they forgot to tighten the shock bolts and they were clunking around until i torqued them down either!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am wondering if there is a bad batch of bushings out there.. I always make sure that shock bolts are tightened down and they were this time, no front shocks but the rears only.. I am waiting for a call from the vendor who is calling Pro-Comp, sure would like properly working shocks.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

sounds like the same problem people have had with the Rough Country shocks, turned out to be a bad batch of bushings from Daystar....I bet it's the same bad bushings made by Daystar that are in the ProComps
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, sure hope they have an answer for me and not the run around. So far I am happy with the way I am being helped, at least I am becoming really fast at removing and replacing shocks.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

go to AutoZone and get some new bushings made by Energy Suspension...they're much stronger. that's what a friend of mine did when his Rough Country bushings failed, and no problems since.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/shockbush.html

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-05-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told that I might need a longer shock, I have a 3" lift and the rear shocks are the MX 6150. Does anyone have a similar lift and number shocks. I was told that Pro Comp would send a brake line extension free too.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally contacted Pro Comp and they have decided that the shocks are the incorrect size so I am getting one size larger. Sure hope this takes care of the problem.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

All, I am having the same problem. I was told by the dealer that there was about 1/2 inch play on the upper shock mounting bracket. So, I looked at my stock shocks that I saved, and there is a bar that goes through the bushing, so it mounts to the SIDE/VERTICAL part of the bracket vice the horizontal.

I am almost certain this what is allowing the shock to walk back and forth on the bracket, eventually chewing up the bushing. I tore my second set of bushings up after 75 miles. I am surprised PRO-COMP and the detailer couldn't figure that one out on their own.

Hope this helps. Obviously this is my analysis based on what the dealer is telling me is going on with the new shocks, and what the old shocks look like.

They are likely going to have to use a similar bracket, or put some spacers next to the bushing to reduce/remove that space and prevent the shock from walking back and forth.

Please let me know if you have found a solution, because my jeep is at the Dealer as we speak, waiting for them and PRO COMP to come up with a solution. (They aren't aware of the above yet, as I took the old shock there on Saturday, and of course the techs and service guy working my vehicle weren't there.

Steve
Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
go to AutoZone and get some new bushings made by Energy Suspension...they're much stronger. that's what a friend of mine did when his Rough Country bushings failed, and no problems since.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/shockbush.html
I had the same problem with my kit and came to the same solution. I've lost one of the originals on all four shocks, so I replaced all six of them with Energy Suspensions bushings. No problems since...

They are 5/8" Shock bushings, FWIW.

Quick Reply: Pro-Comp SHocks