Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp Rims Hubcentric Rings?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kasper
Where are you getting them for $12 a set. The only ones I can find for my cragar soft 8's are from 1010tires.com and they want $56 shipped for plastic rings

Not going to happen for that much....I'm not having problems just figured it wouldn't hurt to have them.

I was also told from one company that a ring that big isn't going help unless it's so tight that you need to hammer them into the rim
Just learning about this possible issue. Is the above statement true? Are hub centric rings needed ?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I ordered front/rear Currie D60 and I ask them if I need hub centric ring, David @ Currie answered that I shouldn't need these.

I think the problem you could have is that if you don't hand tighten first the wheel and make sure that the wheel is correctly mount on the hub flange, then tighten the lug nut in a star pattern by tighten one lug and its diameter opposite as the next to tighten. Yes, you could have problem, your wheel could be not centered correctly.

Anyway I agree that having the hub centric ring supporting the wheel and the weight could not be wrong. But now, how thick/thin is the ring compare to your wheel and how the weight will be distributed between the ring and the wheel? if the ring is thin or at least thinner that your wheel does this still does its job correctly?

This also why going to a tire shop when they use pneumatic wrench without torque control and tighten the lug nut one after the other
Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

So, whats the final answer on this???? If i bought non-hub centric wheels, namely the Pro Comp 8069 in 16x8, will I need rings? I think a lot of people run non-hub centric wheels, but I could be wrong. Let me know...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had these same concerns when I got my procomp 17" steelies....

I had 4wp call procomp and ask about this - they were told by procomp that the wheels are designed to be lugcentric on purpose and that just about every wheel they make is lug-centric.

I think hub-centric is better, but I think the bottom line is it sounds like lug-centric isn't a big deal. I really don't see how hub rings are going to help that much. Either the wheel is hub-centric or it's not.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Has anyone had a failure due to this?

I haven't seen anything around here and there is a BOAT LOAD of lug centric steelies on Jeeps here.

I've run lots of different wheels on lots of different vehicles and never had a problem.

Properly seat the wheel with the lug nuts and then tighten them down to the proper torque spec and you won't have a problem. As David at Currie was quoted above as saying.

Don't follow the proper mounting/torque procedures for the wheel and you're asking for trouble. However, that's your fault not the wheels.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Rims Hubcentric Rings?