Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pro comp lift kits

Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidhigh
Does anyone use this brand. Why don't you see many people using pro comp? I am close to pulling the trigger on the stage 1 4 inch lift. After talking to the guys at 4 wheel parts they seem to think it is the best lift for the money. any suggestions?
I picked the brains of a lot of people and 4x4 shops before I picked a lift. I have never encountered a shop that recommended them. The most complimentary thing I ever heard was that their lifts were ok in pickups but lousy in Jeeps. Do yourself a favor and pick another lift. 4 Wheel Parts is way down on my list of people whose advice should be listened too - actually they're off the list.

I'll bet that salesman gets a spiff that makes selling that lift more profitable than selling a quality name brand lift. Years ago, when I owned three used car stores, I had a buddy that worked at a car stereo store. He sold another friend of mine a POS Jet Sounds stereo. I pulled a ton of these out of trade ins as they rarely worked. He said he had to push them to keep his job and that he got a spiff (the amount varied depending on what mgt was pushing but usually 10-25 bucks) on every Jet sounds he sold but nothing for selling a Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer or other decent brand. Jet sounds was their house brand and the cost was low and the profit astronomical. Buyer beware.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 4" ProCrap in my TJ and it was pure doo doo... not sure about the JK lifts
Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

It should also be noted that ProComp does not make anything themselves. All their tires are made by Cooper (which is great, Cooper makes quality stuff), the steel wheels are made by cragar (also good quality), the alloys wheels are made bya nother company. Their shocks as I recall are manufactured by Rancho. I am not sure who makes the springs and the rest of the lift hardware though.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Default procomp

i have a procomp stage 1 with mx shocks and would NOT recommend mainly since it's not complete. also the driver side spring keeps rotating out of axle perch and had a lot of problems with their shock bushings.

you're better off saving up and buying a lift kit that has adjustable control arms, trackbar and front driveline (you'll need a new shaft to prevent rub on your auto tranny).

Teraflex has a great kit and Dave at Northridge has great prices.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rubicon Express has their 3.5" lift right for $580.00 - add some shock and I think you are way better off then Pro-Comp stage one.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
Rubicon Express has their 3.5" lift right for $580.00 - add some shock and I think you are way better off then Pro-Comp stage one.

$580.00?? Where did you find that deal?

My niece has ProComp coils on her TJ. They ride stiff. One guy here in town has a ProComp kit on this JK...He seems to like it.

Last edited by jasona33; 05-01-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
i have a procomp stage 1 with mx shocks and would NOT recommend mainly since it's not complete. also the driver side spring keeps rotating out of axle perch and had a lot of problems with their shock bushings.

you're better off saving up and buying a lift kit that has adjustable control arms, trackbar and front driveline (you'll need a new shaft to prevent rub on your auto tranny).

Teraflex has a great kit and Dave at Northridge has great prices.
Let me know if I can help you with any of our kits.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

$580.00 - check out the rubicon express web site - check out what Tera-Flex has too - Tera-Flex has some of the best support and customer service and that means alot after the wallet is over the purchase price.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Pro Comp Stage 1 4" kit w/ MX-6 shocks is a good basic kit for the money. Just be aware that you WILL NOT get 4" of lift. At best you'll get 3.25"-3.5" of lift and thats with stock bumpers, oem spare etc.

Even if you call Pro Comp they freely admit that this is not a true 4" kit.

In regards to a previous post about bushings failing.... that was an issue experienced by several vendors last summer that used bushings made by a certain company. I had to swap out all the bushings on our MX-6 shocks due to them crumbling. Pro Comp sent us all the replacments we needed no questions asked.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt buy the kit due to the misleading overall lift size. That was a big deal considering we had 37's waiting to be installed. However if you buy this kit knowing that you wont get a true 4" of lift then it's not a bad choice. Just my $.02
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Default np

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Let me know if I can help you with any of our kits.
thanks - i have your rear upper and lower control arms! wish i would have purchased teraflex front upper and lower.

my front arms were ordered from an 'unamed' manufacturer and sent without instructions, their website was ambiguous on how to install lower - so through 3 attempts of trial and error i think i have them on correctly now?!

your teraflex arms came with CLEAR instructions AND the arm was labeled = muchos appreciation from folks who install themselves! that's why i sponsor Teraflex on my rig
Click image for larger version

Name:	TERAFLEX.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	23333

Quick Reply: pro comp lift kits