Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro-Comp Lift. Did I blow it?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Comp Lift. Did I blow it?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice on this. Went to 4wheel parts yesterday and wanted to order my lift, wheels, tires and rear tire mount bumper etc. Asked about the different lift options and the guys at the counter talked me into a Pro-comp "4 Inch Stage II Lift Kit with ES9000 Shocks." Said this would be best system for a daily driver/weekend warrior etc. System came with a 5 years 60K mile power train warranty etc. Also purchased new rims and 35" MT BFGs to go around it. Also picked up the steel XRC rear bumper with hitch and tire carrier.

After coming back to research what I bought I cant find but a hand-full of positive remarks anywhere about a pro-comp system. Ride reviews and handling reviews are general poor at best. Did I blow it?

I am not scheduled to get the system installed until Wednesday and I am wondering if i should just scrap this order and start over. I original wanted a RE system or a Terafelex; however, those systems were back ordered for weeks and the Pro-Com was in stock. (Wonder why)

Go with it or start over? Opinions.....

Thanks
J
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You might consider cancelling that order and pushing back the install date so you can research a bit more.

Start with the two threads stickied at the top of this area. You will see that the taller you go, the more issues you introduce that will need to be dealt with, and that you don't really need that tall of a lift to run 35's. Get a better handle on the various components, and the heights they may be wanted, and 'then' start narrowing down the lift selection.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doing some research and reading now will save you time and money. Personally,I would cancel that order.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You might consider cancelling that order and pushing back the install date so you can research a bit more. Start with the two threads stickied at the top of this area. You will see that the taller you go, the more issues you introduce that will need to be dealt with, and that you don't really need that tall of a lift to run 35's. Get a better handle on the various components, and the heights they may be wanted, and 'then' start narrowing down the lift selection.
I agree!!! This is funny because I do a fair amount of business with 4WP and was reading one of their magazines today... Everything I was reading, contradicted the lift they sold you.

ProComp is a 4WP product so they are going to push that lift/product. They have tried talking me into ProComp stuff, and I've told them flat out that I'd not even put a ProComp SS on my jeep.

I'm not sure what they charged you for the lift, but I will almost guarantee for the price, there are better options.

Unless your prepared to upgrade other parts needed to run a 4" lift , my suggestion is to stick with a. 2.5" lift. This will be plenty for 35's and you can trim your fenders for more clearance. There is are a lot less parts needed to competently run a 2.5" compared to a 4"...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

This thread will help you out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...i-need-300516/
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
Yup, I should have started with the sticky's first. That was a good read and now I am sure I overbought for what i need. I will cancel on Monday and rework a system a bit. I'M probably just going to need a budget boost 2.5 or 3". They pushed me right into a 4" when I asked for something in the 3" range.

Id like to keep the tire/rim package I bought but I may scope out 33s instead of 35s. Idk yet. Thanks all!!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Captjob
Yup, I should have started with the sticky's first. That was a good read and now I am sure I overbought for what i need. I will cancel on Monday and rework a system a bit. I'M probably just going to need a budget boost 2.5 or 3". They pushed me right into a 4" when I asked for something in the 3" range. Id like to keep the tire/rim package I bought but I may scope out 33s instead of 35s. Idk yet. Thanks all!!
No worries, we've all been there. I ran a 2.5" Teraflex BB for 6-8 months and wheeled the hell out of it with no issues.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captjob
Yup, I should have started with the sticky's first. That was a good read and now I am sure I overbought for what i need. I will cancel on Monday and rework a system a bit. I'M probably just going to need a budget boost 2.5 or 3". They pushed me right into a 4" when I asked for something in the 3" range.

Id like to keep the tire/rim package I bought but I may scope out 33s instead of 35s. Idk yet. Thanks all!!
Similar to you my Jeep is my DD but sees some wheeling - I just installed the TF2.5BB with 33" Goodyear Duratracs on 17x9 Procomp 7069's. I am very satisfied with the lift, it drives exactly as before. If I need any more lift I'll add a 1" body lift down the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4) (640x480).jpg
Views:	268
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	543501
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
No worries, we've all been there. I ran a 2.5" Teraflex BB for 6-8 months and wheeled the hell out of it with no issues.
With 35s.....
Old 04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of salesmen still have TJ's on the brain where you need 4" to 5" of lift to sqeeze in 35's. JK's dont need a lot especially if you trim the Fenders.

Quick Reply: Pro-Comp Lift. Did I blow it?