Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp 8179 problem....

Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to all my aftermarket wheel purchases so I am keeping my stock rims or going with black steelies.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why though... why wouldnt they make them not do that...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone else been having these issues?
Was looking into these but with how much salt Mass likes to use on the roads in the winter I can't see this being a good decision....
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 7189 (polished lip) and have had them on since December. No issues yet, but I live in CA and we don't have salt problems. I guess that could break down the clear, but you'd think they would be able to handle common road conditions like that. I've been really happy with mine and the price was great, but I'll be keeping an extra close eye on things now that I've heard this. Good luck with the warranty process.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 1079 procomps. Mine did the same thing around the bolts. I sold that Jeep and my new one is getting black steel wheels. No more polishing for me!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue and it was caused by the road de-icer used in the mountains. Out here, any good tire and wheel shop will tell you to wash your custom wheels after any trip over a wet mountain pass.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

PRO COMP is cheaply made thats the truth I KNOW
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fighterpilotmav
I emailed them pictures and I am sending mine back and they are replacing them underwarrenty but I have to pay for dismounting and mounting and shipping...
At least they are helping you out. They should cover shipping but you should try to talk to them. Its not all your fault. Good Luck and sorry to hear this
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely underfilm corrosion.

I'm not sure if the fake bead lock rivets are steel or aluminum, but if they are steel and the rim is aluminum, that will cause bi-metallic corrosion which just accelerates the problem. I would consider that a design flaw.

If they are both aluminum, then it's straightforward corrosion. Aluminum rims with clearcoat can either have underfilm or filiform corrosion. This doesn't look like filiform though. If those rims have only seen 1-2 seasons, even in areas with salt, they should not be corroding that quick. If the manufacturer hasn't had failures across the board, then something could have been wrong with their pre-treatment process when those rims were produced. If this is a general trend, then their pretreatment of the substrate is not up to par. Process flaw.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
Yeah they told me tough shit....never buying pro comp again.
PRO COMP more Like PRO SUCK

Quick Reply: Pro Comp 8179 problem....