Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp 8179 problem....

Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Comp 8179 problem....

So I just bought these Pro Comp rims and I love the look of them but only a few months later after taking many trips up to the mtn, I gave the JK a wash and I noticed what looks like some corrosion or something that is very difficult to get off around the fake beadlocks. I have not been able to get it off yet and I don't know what or how it got there...

Anyone know what this could be?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

I have the same wheels only the rock rings over those holes...I can only imagine whats growing under mine lol
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

hmmmm, I better keep an eye on mine, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I can't think of anything except maybe some cleaner and steel wool!?!?!?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont really wanna scratch it(steel wool) but i might try some grim remover products. I emailed the company who I bought them through to see what they could do.. maybe if I am lucky get a new set of rims? or some compensation
Old 02-07-2010, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen other same exact rims like mine but do not have this problem. A rim should handle any condition without shit like this happening to it. That is not good quality. The company should make something that protects against this
Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

Primer and paint, call it a day. Why black steelies for me...simple.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkx3
What you see is clearcoat peel forced off from corrosion/oxidation of the aluminum...which is precisely why I refused to buy another polished/cleared wheel.

Black only for me on anything daily driven. Show car/special use sure, ok, but Ive owned too many wheels now that have done that same thing.

Only way to remedy...sand off the clear, polish the underlying aluminum back out, and keep it polished. You can re-clear, but it will do this again.
I've seen that happen alot, it's like air gets under there and eventually the clear starts flaking off, and it's like once it starts it gets worse.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

OUCH, sorry to see that happen. I'll be curious to see if they do anything for you. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

It looks like the clear coat is bubbling up. you could try procomp to see if they will do anything for you or if not just take some sand paper or steel wool and take it off. it will look good as new. If you ever submerge it in salt water or something it may corrode but aluminum corrodes very very slowly not at all lke steel
Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I emailed them pictures and I am sending mine back and they are replacing them underwarrenty but I have to pay for dismounting and mounting and shipping...

Quick Reply: Pro Comp 8179 problem....