Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Prioritize my wishlist

Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prioritize my wishlist

I'm getting to the point in my ongoing buildup that my disposable Jeep funds are about dried up. All mods from now on will likely come one at a time, as extra cash allows.

You can see in my sig what parts I have that still need to be installed. After that, I have more stuff to be done (don't we all ). Help me decide which is more important in my build.

I plan on going with 36" or 37" tires in the near future.

Planned upgrades, in no certain order:

1-front axle-- haven't decided. I could go w/ a Rubi front, but it's not a whole lot stronger for that much $$. I might wait and see what the aftermarket will produce.

2-Rear axle-- again, waiting on the aftermarket to catch up. I've heard about a kit w/ a 35 spline ARB and alloy shafts. Sounds interesting.

3--Driveshafts--I know this will come soon, even though I have the longer wheelbase Unlimited. It's gonna hurt too $$. Can't believe shafts cost so much.

4--Adjustable control arms--These will be a helpful addition for both driveability and durability, and will probably be mandatory when changing driveshafts.

5--Cage--can't decide weather to go w/ a Rock Hard or have one fabbed locally.

6--skids--Any Unlimited, with it's long belly, needs beefy skids. Hurry up aftermarket!!

7--adjustable track bars--I think I'll really need these once the 4" suspension goes on.

8--tube fenders--not sure I really need them, but they sure look badass

9--2 more jobs to pay for all this $hit

Help me decide what I should do in what order, any why.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
JK Jedi

#7 and #4 first. What good is all that lift if you're wandering all over the road!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
#7 and #4 first. What good is all that lift if you're wandering all over the road!

I just remembered that (I think) my Superlift kit came w/ a front adjustable track bar. I'm going to go check the boxes.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or just start with the tube fenders and you can run 36"s with no lift and 37"s with your 2" budget lift! Then you don't need new shafts, arms, etc... or at least not as soon! 36's aren't you running the stock 18"s? I have not seen a 36" size on the 18"s yet, 37"s can be found but are a little harder to find than 35"s.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKMAN
or just start with the tube fenders and you can run 36"s with no lift and 37"s with your 2" budget lift!
I'd love to, but I have a feeling it'll be a while before they're released/available.

Originally Posted by JKMAN
36's aren't you running the stock 18"s? I have not seen a 36" size on the 18"s yet, 37"s can be found but are a little harder to find than 35"s.
Nope. I'm running Procomp 8179's in 17x9. Iroks are available in 36's for 17" wheels.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Another question:

If I can only get one set of arms at a time, in what order should I do it?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with the full traction budget lift and added their adjustable front lower control arms and it drives fine. For my $$, I would do front and rear lower adjustables, and an adjustable front and rear trac bar. That's the direction I am headed. Eventually I will have the complete lift as $$ alows. Kilby has their evap canister relocation for around $130.00, and are going to have a belly skid out. Don't know how much that'll cost. They also have a muffler skid plate.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Another question:

If I can only get one set of arms at a time, in what order should I do it?
I would fo with uppers first so you can set your castor/pinion. Check out Rusty's or Daystar as they are quite a bit cheaper than FT. I have seen some XJ arms from rustys and those were very stout.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go with #6 first. At least that's what I plan on doing. Protection is the the one thing I want. If I have to keep on replacing oil pans, mufflers, and mounts for tranny and everything else, It'll turn into a never ending process and I'll never get all the stuff I want.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi

I have done them all, pretty much one set at a time. I would do the front lowers first.

Easier to change(no bolt to cut)

You can see 'em(hate spending money on something I cant see)

Helps also move your axle forward to where it was.

I think you have more room for adjustment(I did the uppers first, shortened them all the way, and I still needed some caster)

THE PREMIUM KIT COMES WITH NEW LOWERS ONLY, MAYBE THEY ARE TRYING TO TELL US SOMETHING.

JUST MY $.02

sorry, didnt mean to shout. Hit the wrong key

Quick Reply: Prioritize my wishlist