Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To prime, or not to prime.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To prime, or not to prime.

I will be bedlining my wheels this weekend and wanted to know the definitive answer on whether to use self-etching primer or not. I am using duplicolor bedliner, which states to apply directly to the surface, and several people on here have done so with fine results. I've also read many write-ups where the person used the primer with good results as well.

Any strong opinions either way? I know touch up will be easy if necessary, but I'm just lookin for longevity. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would fallow the instructions on the container of material. Good luck
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Fine Print

The Duplicolor Bedliner might require that the base paint be fully cured, or "aged" This means the solvents in the Duplicolor are potent to get adhesion, and might lift "New" paint or primer. Like he said, check out the directions on the Duplicolor..
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default No primer needed......

You really need to sand the surface lightly, de-grease/remove any wax as instructed and spray in light coats. Allow 5-10 minutes between coats. Make sure your are temperature is above 65 degrees. I used a portable heater near the wheels in the garage to make sure the area was warm. It should be quick and easy. Start to finish on Jeep in 2-hours for ALL 5 wheels. I even de-greased the other side of the wheel and painted it with FLAT black (not bedliner) so that when you look through the wheel, it is a clean flat black. I was told NOT to spay back side with bedliner as it would grip and hold dirt/mud.

Good Luck, you will love the outcome.

Originally Posted by harraid5711
I will be bedlining my wheels this weekend and wanted to know the definitive answer on whether to use self-etching primer or not. I am using duplicolor bedliner, which states to apply directly to the surface, and several people on here have done so with fine results. I've also read many write-ups where the person used the primer with good results as well.

Any strong opinions either way? I know touch up will be easy if necessary, but I'm just lookin for longevity. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know that paint is different from bedliner, but when I painted my wheels I did practically nothing. I sanded them then cleaned with mineral spirits and then painted. and they looked great. If I was bedlining my wheels I think that I would prime them though.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

All good advise.. But paints have advanced in the past 10 years like computers and motor oil... What was so true in the past, is not to day. I would read and follow directions on the product to a T. My 2¢
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Turned out great. No primer, 3 coats of bedliner. Love it!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-728501465.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	147558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3255392541.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	147559   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-681151454.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	41.6 KB