Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pretty sure shocks arent supposed to do this...

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I guess this is where age has the advantage.

I remember when it was rare to see a gas shock.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by isolated1523
Well i suppose i'll swallow the idiot card on this then lol!! Guess i just figured that any shock inherently should have some kind of rebound action in order to work properly. Without it, this means that the springs are doing about 95% of the work, right? Maybe a good thread opportunity for someone to school us up on shocks....

-Adam
Gotcha! Shocks don't lift anything or support any load. They just keep the springs from bouncing around like a ho in a $10 motel.

Gas shocks push back a bit because of the pressurized nitrogen, but the amount they push is nothing compared to the weight of the Jeep.

There is (or used to be) such a thing as an air-lift shock. Its an air spring combined with a shock. Seems like a cool idea for off-road but I don't know if the the shocks would take the pounding a Jeep would give them.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Gotcha! Shocks don't lift anything or support any load. They just keep the springs from bouncing around like a ho in a $10 motel.

Gas shocks push back a bit because of the pressurized nitrogen, but the amount they push is nothing compared to the weight of the Jeep.

There is (or used to be) such a thing as an air-lift shock. Its an air spring combined with a shock. Seems like a cool idea for off-road but I don't know if the the shocks would take the pounding a Jeep would give them.
Got it. And yeah i guess i knew that shocks didnt actually provide any lift or load...so i guess my question is, what is it that makes the 5100s so eagerly go to full extension, and ride that much better, than the "gas-enclosed" RC 2.2 shocks that i could barely PULL back to extended?

-Adam
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

My RC shocks did the same thing. They provided no rebound control at all. When I hot mid corner bumps the back end would hop off the ground. Had it not been for stability control I may have wrecked. Ditched the Rough Country for Teraflex and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same crap sh$t shocks. They are basically steering dampeners not shocks by any means. I'm riding on 5100s now as well, and it's like going from a one wheeled bicycle down a rock road to a Mercedes on clouds
Old 10-27-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Interesting. If I remember correctly, the pressurized shocks prevent the oil cavitation in quick operation (such a driving fast in rough pavement). I used them in some of my sport-type cars in the past.

Does having this kind of shock in a Jeep makes a difference unless we are driving it quite fast?

Quick Reply: Pretty sure shocks arent supposed to do this...