Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pressing differential carrier bearings

Old 01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
aro
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing differential carrier bearings

I'm trying to press new bearings on the carrier and I don't know what to use for that. Ideally I would have just an inner race, put it on top of the new bearing and drive it in.

I looked at the steel pipes at HD and 1 1/2" is too small, while 2" is too large. It looks like the diameter of that race is about 1 7/8". I also tried putting the bearings in the oven at 250 F, but it didn't help.

Any ideas anyone? At this point I'm stuck.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Autozone and other auto parts store should let you rent/buy bearing driver kits. Similar to this: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...FQiKaQodOEUFHQ
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

I used some heat on the bearings and a brass drift the first time I did this and tapped it evenly around the inner race until it was down to its seat. I use a .001" shim to check to make sure it is seated. I was super careful not to hit the rollers or cage. Since then I made a custom drift on my lathe to press them down with.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:19 PM
aro
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
I used some heat on the bearings and a brass drift the first time I did this and tapped it evenly around the inner race until it was down to its seat.
I used a brass pin too, but it's too thick and I can't seat the bearing all the way. It's thicker than the race, so when the bearing gets level with the carrier shaft, I can't use it anymore. I'll have to see if HD has a thinner one.

I went to two different Autozone's and they don't have bearing drivers on their rental chart. They have bearing pullers and seal/race drivers, but not bearing drivers.

If I can't find a thinner brass pin and do it with that, I'll have to order the kit posted earlier. That sucks... there goes my plan to finish my Jeep this weekend...
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM
aro
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bryanluu
Autozone and other auto parts store should let you rent/buy bearing driver kits. Similar to this: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...FQiKaQodOEUFHQ
Do you know anyone who used that kit? I'm not sure if it will work. It say the largest O.D. is 47mmm. The I.D. of the bearing is almost 2", which is more than 50mm.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to a machine shop
Old 01-16-2016, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a shop and have it pressed on properly with a press. Or Put the carrier in the freezer over night and heat the bearings as well. That will help.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 AM
aro
JK Newbie

I ended up going to a machine shop and pressing them there. I also moved the ring gear from the old to the new carrier/locker.

Next time I'll have an inner race that I'll use to press it in.

Quick Reply: Pressing differential carrier bearings