Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PRESS RELEASE: TeraFlex JK Wrangler SpeedBumps Bumpstops

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just need a high speed jk to go with those.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they say they are designed for "High speed" what does this mean for us slow pokes crawling along the trails? Will they not function properly being compressed slowly?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are dropping a lot of weight onto one the axle all at once like dropping off a shelf or jumping on sand dunes they will help to prevent the axle from bending. Also, if you have a lot of weight on the front or back due to heavy bumpers or winches or a Hemi these types of bump stops become more useful.

Last edited by porters; 09-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I just need a high speed jk to go with those.
Where are the stock Hemis when you need them?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These will work for high speed or for crawlers.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

By high speed they mean they can handle fast, hard compressions really well. So for instance going 40-60 or so through a trail in the desert with a few bumps will not be a problem for these, the speed will require them to react quickly and also due to the speed the compression will be much stronger.

Now, for crawlers, you obviously wont be going that fast, but if you bump up on or shelf, or even down for that matter, you will still get a good size force of compression similar to the high speed compressions. Make sense?

So basically these are pretty legit and will save your axles and springs some stress in the long run. Nowwww just to afford them
Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

The big difference between the TeraFlex SpeedBumps and the Nitrogen pressure gas/oil units you’re used to seeing is the "Closed" micro cellular foam spring inside the SpeedBumps. Not to be confused with the more common but hugely inferior "open" micro cellular foam used in other automotive applications. The SpeedBump has a nice progressive stroke which starts with less initial contact pressure of about 100-125 lbs and builds to about 10,000 lbs before it bottoms out. The enclosure of the foam is the trick to controlling the pressure in a progressive way and extending the stroke pressure. It won’t leak so you have zero maintenance to worry about. TeraFlex has secured patents because the SpeedBump is so different and innovative. They have a lifetime warranty on them which is very aggressive for something designed to be abused! They are made here in the USA. We will have some 4” travel versions for taller lifts and universal applications. I’m not a high speed desert guy… yet, but I enjoy getting some air on occasion and these SpeedBumps make a huge difference in the feel of the landing. I no longer worry about deep gutters or dips in the urban driving either. These units are built specifically for JKs and require no extra mounting brackets or welding. The progression of the stroke is tuned to the JK as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great explanation guys, thanks. So now that you Tereflex guys have me wanting them,,,, I have a 2 door with an OME "HD" lift, heavy bumpers, winch etc. Will these, or future models, give me the correct bump stop height to keep my tires from getting into my flares?

Side note, right now I have your 2.5 inch rear bump stops installed, they work great. I purchased your 2.5 inch front bump stops as well but they were to long and limited travel way to much.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 2.75" bumpstop extensions, which are _just_ long enough -- I can bottom-out the shock as the OEM bumpstop is completely crushed. I've always thought the OEM bumpstop was a bit too mushy. I can compensate by adjusting the valving on my shocks, but this is a bit linear. If I could change the OEM bumpstops, and retain a similar compression limit, I'd do it in a second. So, I guess my question is, which of your SpeedBumps (current 3-4" model, or upcoming shorter model) would be a better match for a 2.75" bumpstop?

Thanks,
js.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

When choosing the SpeedBump for your JK you need to keep these key factors in mind:
1. You won’t hurt the SpeedBump by compressing it too hard.
2. The Bump stops are needed to protect:
a. Your shock absorbers from being over compressed and causing internal damage.
b. You’re Fenders from your tires traveling to far up under compression and damaging them.
3. If you have a non TeraFlex lift kit and you have bump stops mounted to the axle you can retain those and your shock/fender protection will remain unchanged with adding the SpeedBumps.
4. With a smaller lift you can look at what you have and if it’s been working good for protecting your tire clearance and shock travel with no bump stops it will work the same way with the SpeedBumps, on the front.
5. The SpeedBumps starts out with a much lower compression pressure (100lbs) so the SpeedBump may have less distance between the axle pad/bumpstop and the contact point of the SpeedBump. When the SpeedBump initially engages it is nearly imperceptible compared with pressure gas cylinders (300-500lbs) so we don’t need as much free down movement.

We do not have a rear SpeedBump application for lifts lower than a full rear 3” lift. We will have a special rear bump stop that replaces the upper factory unit with a closed micro cellular unit in the future.
Please note that if your bump stops have a large hole in the center to accommodate a center bolt you may wear out the poly urethane tip that screws into the SpeedBump shaft prematurely. Reason being that the contact will be over an edge of the hole. Usually you can flip the bump stop over and drill a 45 degree tapper and find a flat head bolt creating a flatter contact surface for the SpeedBump contact to occur. The Poly Urethane tip is a common item, easy to install which most off road shops have in stock. It is considered a “wear” item from us. TeraFlex will have a Delrin tip available along with extruded Delrin bump stops in the very near future.
I will post some pictures later today.

Quick Reply: PRESS RELEASE: TeraFlex JK Wrangler SpeedBumps Bumpstops