Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PRESS RELEASE: Off Road Evolution EVO 44 Magnum Sealed Axle Sleeves

Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
I am finishing up my install, and as the title suggests, installing RCV CV style axle shafts at the same time. The grease cup on the RCV axle is pushing up snug to the EVO 44 axle sleeve, so it it will be rubbing as it rotates. Has anyone else installed this combination? Any of the same issues? Could the red rubberized RCV dust cup be trimmed a bit without sacrificing it's purpose?

On another note for those that have installed only the EVO 44 magnums, what is the distance between the sleeve and the inner most flange on the U-Joint of the stock axles?
I was planning this combo also. Would also like to know...
Old 01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdmmd
I was planning this combo also. Would also like to know...
So my concern ended up being for not.....When you first slide the axles in and push the bearings on, it shoves the boot up against the sleeve. Once you install the axle nut and tighten it, it will pull the axle back out slightly, and give you about 1/8" to 1/4" of clearance. No problems, and everything went together fine. I would make sure that when you weld the sleeves that you get them installed at the depth of the scribed line on the sleeve. This will give you just enough room to access the grease fitting.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you notice any difference in steering with the RCVs? Also what type of welder did you use to install the sleeves?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you notice any difference in steering with the RCVs? Also what type of welder did you use to install the sleeves?
The steering seems smooth, although I have only driven it on-road in 2wd, so I don't think I've seen the benefit yet. I expect that in 4wd on tight turns on the trails that it will be noticeable.

I have a 110v mig welder and didn't feel it was up to the job. I ended up contracting a local welder who used a 220v tig welder. The sleeves and gussets are pretty thick, and the rosette style welds typically require a little more heat (from what I understand...I am not a skilled welder myself)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you mount the sleeves and then drive on it or did the welder come to you? I have a 110 mig welder which I thought would be fine but now you got me thinking...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you mount the sleeves and then drive on it or did the welder come to you? I have a 110 mig welder which I thought would be fine but now you got me thinking...
I did EVO gussets, lower arm skids, and sleeves all at once. I was also replacing my worn ball joints. I took the axle out completely and put it on a platform to be able to do all of this....makes it much easier. After seeing how many holes you are going to drill, and the angles that you want to weld from, I would recommend this approach. I then just took my axle to the welder's shop. You could do all of this in a long day, or do what I did, and take the axle out the night before, do all of the prep work in the morning one day, and have an appt. at the welder in the afteroon. Brought it home and painted it that night and let it sit. Installed everything the next day. Fortunately I have other vehicles, so having my jeep out of service was not a big deal.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShortBlack
I thought it was a no no to Stitch weld the Tube Directly to the Housing? causes weakness and an area for the tube to stress and crack? Isn't that is the reason behind plug welding as it doesn't effect the strength along the length of the Tube?

I thought of doing this myself as i heard the Tubes can rotate in the Housing from poor factory plug welding but is it ok to stitch weld???
We dont recommend welding to the cast housings unless you are skilled and trained at doing so with cast materials. There are certain procedures and materials that need to be used inorder to insure the weld is properly fusing the two metals.

It is perfectly acceptable to weld to the axle tubes themselves with standard welding procedures, but welding to cast center housing are significantly different.

Not saying it cannot be done, just needs to be preformed by someone with specific experience. Otherwise the weld will not penetrate and will most likely crack.

We have not seen any JK axles twist at the housing like the older inferior model 20, model 35, ford 8.8 axles that were prone to this in the past.

EVO...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Evo Sleeves

Just finished installing Evo Sleeves and they will definetly keep water and crap out now....they have a beautiful fit to the axel themselves. Added some silicone to the weld where the zert is to finish up sealing everything in...wow can't wait to try them out. Let you know, well worth $150.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Going to do this soon as I have to take everything out of the D30 again for a crappy axle seal.

Some questions:

How much free space is left between the inner sleeve and the axle shaft?

Will it be harder to knock out the inner axle seal with the sleeves in place? (I have had an ongoing issue with multiple changed seals)

What is the repacment outer seal for the sleeves? (Noted in this tread that they are over the counter)

Thanks

Quick Reply: PRESS RELEASE: Off Road Evolution EVO 44 Magnum Sealed Axle Sleeves