Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PRESS RELEASE : J.E. Reel Offers Must-Have Driveshaft Solutions for Lifted 2012 JK's

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up PRESS RELEASE : J.E. Reel Offers Must-Have Driveshaft Solutions for Lifted 2012 JK's

Pomona, CA – The new 3.6L Pentastar engine in the 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK is one of the most welcome changes to the popular JK since their introduction in 2007. However, the position of the new engine in the chassis creates some unique challenges when driveline angles are changed even slightly from stock, as with a lift kit. Only J.E. Reel offers durable must-have driveshaft solutions for lifted 2012 JKs.

The problem is three-fold. First, the ’12 JK uses Rezeppa-style driveshafts that are not serviceable and have much smaller operating angles than even a conventional U-joint-equipped driveshaft. Second, the downward angle of the new engine is much greater than the previous engine, placing the front driveshaft operating angle at the extreme limit of the factory driveshaft, even at stock ride height. Third, the new exhaust crossover tube is routed under the front driveshaft, so even a mild 2” lift will cause the driveshaft to make contact with the exhaust as the suspension droops. Thanks to the clearance, unserviceable joints and greater operating angles, lifted 2012 JKs can experience front driveshaft failure in just a few thousand miles. This can also result in the catastrophic failure of other expensive drivetrain components.

The J.E .Reel solutions address all of these issues with a complete line of replacement driveshaft systems. The J.E. Reel OE-replacement driveshafts eliminate the weak factory driveshaft entirely and feature a standard 1310 U-joint at the axle as well as a 1310 CV-joint at the transfer case. The factory yokes are retained by utilizing J.E. Reel’s exclusive adapter flanges for a simple, bolt-in installation. This configuration is suitable for up to 3” of lift and 33” tires. A heavy-duty 1310-series version that uses complete replacement yokes at both the transfer case and the axle is also available. This strength improvement is recommended for Jeeps with up to 6” of lift and 35” tall tires.

For extreme use and taller lift heights, J.E. Reel offers upgraded front and rear driveshafts with larger 1350-series joints and 1350 Canyon Crawler driveshafts. Constructed using heavy-gauge tubing (0.188-wall on 2-Door models, 0.134-wall on 4-Doors), Canyon Crawler driveshafts also feature larger joints for extra strength as well as a stronger spline and slip assembly. JE Reel can even build smaller diameter front driveshafts that address exhaust clearance issues in extreme applications.

All J.E. Reel driveshafts are serviceable for long life, and J.E. Reel highly recommends servicing them at regular intervals. Further, these driveshafts should be used in conjunction with adjustable control arms on all lifted applications. In addition to driveshaft solutions for all Jeep Wrangler JKs from 2007-present, J.E. Reel offers standard and heavy-duty driveshaft solutions for any application from mild to wild.

For more information, visit www.reeldriveline.com or call 909-629-9002

J.E. Reel Offers Must-Have Driveshaft Solutions

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JE REEL driveshafts are the only ones we run... never had a single problem!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driveshafts always confuse me, and this one does too. Is there a difference for this JE driveshaft that makes it different from other JE drive shafts? If so, when placing orders for a driveshaft through a vendor, do I need to specify what year JK I have? Also, it says up to 3" of lift, so do I also need to specify my lift height?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by sneck
driveshafts always confuse me, and this one does too. Is there a difference for this JE driveshaft that makes it different from other JE drive shafts? If so, when placing orders for a driveshaft through a vendor, do I need to specify what year JK I have? Also, it says up to 3" of lift, so do I also need to specify my lift height?
Sneck,

Sorry if this is confusing. Yes, the driveshafts we build for '12 are a little different than the '07-'11 to address the concerns stated in the press release, however, they feature the same basic components. So, same stuff just built a little bit differently...does that help? There are also upgrades to 1350-series joints and our Canyon Crawler driveshafts, which feature thicker tubing and a stronger slip-spline...it just depends on how big your lift is and how hard you intend to beat on the Jeep!

Yes, you should always specify the year of the Jeep and lift height when ordering driveshafts; the year is especially important when you have a '12 JK. We also like to know tire size and intended use so that we can make our best recommendation on a driveshaft that will provide the most longevity for your needs and uses. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Reel Driveline
Sneck,

Sorry if this is confusing. Yes, the driveshafts we build for '12 are a little different than the '07-'11 to address the concerns stated in the press release, however, they feature the same basic components. So, same stuff just built a little bit differently...does that help? There are also upgrades to 1350-series joints and our Canyon Crawler driveshafts, which feature thicker tubing and a stronger slip-spline...it just depends on how big your lift is and how hard you intend to beat on the Jeep!

Yes, you should always specify the year of the Jeep and lift height when ordering driveshafts; the year is especially important when you have a '12 JK. We also like to know tire size and intended use so that we can make our best recommendation on a driveshaft that will provide the most longevity for your needs and uses. Thanks!
Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

sneck - here's a visual of the different driveline angles described above. The 3.6 engine/transmission/transfer case has a significant slope when compared to the 3.8. Both of the pictures below were taken on level ground.

Here's the angle of my 2007 unlimited with a 5" lift, the yoke was pretty much level.

Here's the angle of my 2012 unlimited with a 3" lift.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I am glad I waited. My next purchase on my lifted 12 JKU is shafts, and this is clearly what I was waiting for.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine yesterday. He told me they will hopefully be to my house by the first of next week. I ordered the 1310's with replacement yokes and the canyon crawler up grade and a spare u-joint. Doesnt hurt to have a spare in the tool box. Once they arrive I can begin the installation of my lift, y-pipe, and drivelines.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

I have a 1310 replacement driveshaft off of my 2007 JKUR (automatic) including the replacement yokes. Will this work on my 2012? They both have the same amount of lift.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going with J.E. Reel shafts on my 2012 JKU

Quick Reply: PRESS RELEASE : J.E. Reel Offers Must-Have Driveshaft Solutions for Lifted 2012 JK's