Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Prepping for an Excursion -- Which supplies/basket?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
A fresh top-quality battery and a test of your charging system should be enough unless you plan to use a lot of battery for winching, camping with lights and music, etc.

If you think the extra power might be needed, stuff a dual battery tray under the hood. Even if you don't spring for the cost of a dual battery hook-up, the tray is the best (and safest) place to store a spare battery.

Add jumper cables to the list.
Cool. Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm getting ready to do close to the same thing this summer. As far as a battery, this week I'm leaning toward a portable battery starter. Seams the most versatile / lightest and least expensive.

I haven't gotten my head wrapped around the fuel issue though. I'm trying to come up with a way to mount a rotopax fuel canister to the tailgate in such a way that you are able to mount a Hi-lift jack there. A 3 gal container will weigh 25lbs (4 gal=32lbs) and at say 10 mpg (x3), that'll get you 30 miles (if your coming down off a pass, even further). This means my Hi-lift will have to go on the hood. A mountain bike will be mounted to my spare tire and I don't want the weight of the fuel containers mounted on the roof.

Suggestions anyone?

BTW; if you added 4ea, 5 gal containers (we’ll say Jerry cans), that’s 165lbs. That’ is allot of weight / space for a JK. I believe in having a reserve, but plan to fill up at gas stations as I pass through. Just something to think about. After re-reading your post I see you don’t plan to drive around with the cans filled all the time.

I did go ahead and purchase a Thule rack system off Craigslist (CL) for cheap and mounted to my hard top. That opens up allot of storage capabilities although I wouldn't put over 150 lbs up there (not including the rack). I purchased a hitch mount (both 1 metal and 1 aluminum) for $50 a piece off CL but decided I don't like the idea of having it hanging out behind the Jeep. Also I figure since I'm going solo, If I can't get it in or on the Jeep, I don't need it. I bought some u-bolts and mounted the hitch carrier to my roof rack goofing around the other day. That opens up some possibilities and allows a kayak to be mounted on the other side..... I suppose I could carry items on the hitch carrier mounted to the hitch while on the highway (keeping it all out of the slipstream), and then relocate the carrier to the roof when off road

I ran across a cheap little shovel which I believe will outperform my folding shovel and it mounts right to my Ace Rock Sliders.

I'm leaning toward FunTreks for the maps. Not sure if I'll try the digital bit. You may be able to find a used book off Amazon. USGS can hook you up with any additional maps may you need.

Since You will be out alone, a Personnal Locater Beacon would probably be a good idea.

You shouldn’t have to get too crazy with recovery gear and spare parts as you’re going to be in a (what I consider) moderately traveled 4x4 area (Colorado and MOAB anyway). Just my thoughts though.

I wish there was a way to do a Foursquare type deal while off road in the US. It seems there are allot of solo peeps running around and never linking up with a trail buddy which is the safest thing to do.

My suggestion would be to have an idea what area you want to be in and when. Other than that, carry all the resources need to shoot from the hip and just go out and have a good time. Who knows, you may pick up that hot gal hitchhiking and end up off in some unforeseen area. It happens in the movies, never for me.

Anyway, I'm subscribed.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Food for thought:

1. If going solo, you can choose routes that are less risky. Popular routes where you know someone will be by in the next few hours are one good option. Or, routes that are an easy hike from civilization are another (this assumes you're not injured and unable to hike, of course). If you choose the latter, it will probably also be a popular route. But, have gear and water to carry for a hike out. Hiking shoes/boots, a good hat and plenty of water. And make certain you know exactly what way to town. Be aware that in the heat many popular routes become not so popular. On White Rim Trail a couple years ago in the spring, we ran into all kinds of people. I'd say we never went more than an hour without coming across hikers, bikers or other four wheelers. Then, last summer when the temp's were well above one hundred, we saw only one bicyclists (we offered him water and he refused--said the park service had stashed some for his use), and one other Jeeper. We were only down there for the day, but that was still far fewer folks than in the spring months.

2. When off-road 2WD is your friend. Yes, the mantra is go to 4WD-Lo as soon as you are off-road. Which is great if you're crawling rocks in some playground somewhere. However, for expedition type travel, rarely does the road demand 4WD. I drove the Mojave Trail a couple weeks ago, and used 4WD for about 2 miles of the over 140 miles trip. Once because there was a very steep downhill stretch I wanted low gears for. And the second time because we were in deep sand and I had let the group get way ahead of me while I stopped to shoot pictures. I was having an easy time previously with the group in the same sand, but was concerned that they were out of CB range and I didn't want to get stuck and have to delay the group's travel. When I caught back up with them, I went right back to 2WD.

3. If you're going to be away from civilization for several days, a refrigerator is your friend. I have the ARB 50-liter and it rocks. I have run it on my primary battery for up to two days without starting the Jeep, and it kept things in the mid-30s, and the Jeep started right up. Yes, I have dual-batteries, but the fridge right now is on the primary--one of these days I need to move it over to the aux. LOL. The ARB fridge does have circuitry to ensure that it doesn't kill a battery.

4. I doubt you'll need more than ten gallons extra of gas unless you make a conscientious effort to avoid civilization. However, don't trust your GPS when in remote areas to correctly identify where gas stations are. Last year we were headed the back way into Great Sand Dunes over Medano Pass. My GPS said there was a gas station in this small town out there. When we got there, we learned the nearest gas was on the other side of the pass. We made it on fumes--but only because we expected to fuel up at that one gas station and had passed one 35 miles earlier because of that. And, we were not carrying any gas in the two jerry cans since we didn't anticipate any long runs where we'd need it. Moral: Fill up when you can, and maybe it's a good idea to have fuel on those extra cans.

Good luck on your trip--you're certainly picking some beautiful places to travel.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.overlandjournal.com/overl...re_essentials/

I would think even though you're not doing any international travel or extreme long distance. This list should be a decent starter point.

I have been into overlanding for quite some time and I've always wanted to do it but life gets in the way sometimes.

Basically one of the key things is to make sure that your Jeep is as bullet proof and reliable as possible. Big tires, huge lift kits, certain aftermarket parts can all decrease the reliability of a vehicle and when you are traveling thousands of miles away it's sometimes hard to get that exact aftermarket replacement part vs a stock part.

Enjoy yourself I some day hope that I may be able to do the same.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Food for thought:

2. When off-road 2WD is your friend. Yes, the mantra is go to 4WD-Lo as soon as you are off-road. Which is great if you're crawling rocks in some playground somewhere. However, for expedition type travel, rarely does the road demand 4WD. I drove the Mojave Trail a couple weeks ago, and used 4WD for about 2 miles of the over 140 miles trip. Once because there was a very steep downhill stretch I wanted low gears for. And the second time because we were in deep sand and I had let the group get way ahead of me while I stopped to shoot pictures. I was having an easy time previously with the group in the same sand, but was concerned that they were out of CB range and I didn't want to get stuck and have to delay the group's travel. When I caught back up with them, I went right back to 2WD.
This gets off-topic a bit, but its worth considering when keeping your stuff working in the wilderness is critical. If you run an automatic, there is this transmission heat issue when running in sand or gravel in hi-range. At trail speeds in sand or gravel in hi-range the transmission will run with the converter unlocked most of the time. This builds up heat which can lead to the "hot oil" light, failure, or fire. In lo-range the transmission will shift up and the converter will lock. Yes a cooler will dissipate much of the heat but its better to not generate the heat in the first place. Unfortunately the only way to get into lo-range is 4-lo. The transfer case modification that lets you select 4WD separately from the gear range would be great with the automatic for this reason. (So would a six-speed but there are a whole lot of autos out there.)

How well lo-range works for you depends on the setup. A Rubi revs higher in lo-range than a 2.72 case. Tires and final drive ratio matter also. With my setup (below) I can run trails up to 25-30 MPH in low range without seeing more than 2500 engine RPMs. That's about the same engine speed as 60 MPH on the highway with OD off.

Quick Reply: Prepping for an Excursion -- Which supplies/basket?