Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Prepping for an Excursion -- Which supplies/basket?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Sounds like a great trip!

Questions:
1) how much do you have in your budget?
2) how much do you plan to camp and be "off the grid"?
3) how much far from main roads do you plan to go?

Depending on how you answer these questions you should consider one of those Safari racks that go on top of your Jeep.

If you have a hard top and will use it in the trip there is the option of installing a Thule basket. It will let you strap gas and water cans, tent and other supplies on it.

For maps, if you have an Android device with a GPS, check OruxMaps. You can download several maps, including topo, for offline use. But I would take printed topo maps and a compass as backup.

My budget is around $1100 for supplies and gasoline. I plan to camp every day. I think the only day(s) I won't be camping are if I end up staying overnight at my cousin's in Colorado, but I know he's suppose to be doing an excursion himself all around Moab. I don't plan to go too far, but I do want to be away from civilization as much as possible.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well a hitch carrier is gonna hinder your off-road capability, ground clearence, turning in tight areas, etc. If I were you I'd use the gas carrier you got( maybe rachet strap an extra rotopax back there) and pull out the passenger seat for camping gear area. That along with what you can fit on top your spare inside the back should be good, no?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Well a hitch carrier is gonna hinder your off-road capability, ground clearence, turning in tight areas, etc. If I were you I'd use the gas carrier you got( maybe rachet strap an extra rotopax back there) and pull out the passenger seat for camping gear area. That along with what you can fit on top your spare inside the back should be good, no?
Logistically, you are right. I already have the rear seat out of the Jeep. What you point out is clearly the best budget saver. Hm....

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Logistically, you are right. I already have the rear seat out of the Jeep. What you point out is clearly the best budget saver. Hm....

Thanks!
Well, I figured since you were trying to get away from everyone you wouldn't be bringin anyone with you.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Well, I figured since you were trying to get away from everyone you wouldn't be bringin anyone with you.

Touche! haha. Cheers!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems you should be able to map out your route and determine whether fuel will be an issue. My JK has been getting around 150 miles to the tank off-road. A JKU should go further. If you expect that range to come up shy, a couple of the high-mounted cans may give enough cushion along with more safety.

If you are going that far without seeing any supplies, water may be even more important than fuel. At least you can carry water safely inside the Jeep.

For tools, I carry most every tool I've used around the Jeep because the same things I took apart at home may need help out on the trail.

Pretty hard to predict what might fail out there. Some no-brainers include an extra serpentine belt, fuses, and light bulbs. Beyond that - tie-wire, zip ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, and duct tape can go a long ways when trouble starts. Carry some oil, brake fluid, and a gallon of anti-freeze. You may be able to fix a leak, but the lost fluid still needs to be replaced. I've had to replace anti-freeze with water a couple times. It doesn't cool worth a shit.

We go out solo a lot. For sure we skip some routes that would be fool-hardy without support. We have a winch and carry a pull-pal. Not a good as a buddy with another Jeep but much better than praying your cell phone works

For sure carry some extra MREs and a first aid kit.

When boats get a long ways from everything they usually carry a flare gun.

I cut a tire down so quick and easy on the trail this winter that I started thinking about an extra spare on the roof. My tire patch kit would have been useless on the 2" cut I got across the tread. Same with a cut side wall.

For more info check out the information on expedition modded Jeeps and expedition planning here and elsewhere on the 'net.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill
Seems you should be able to map out your route and determine whether fuel will be an issue. My JK has been getting around 150 miles to the tank off-road. A JKU should go further. If you expect that range to come up shy, a couple of the high-mounted cans may give enough cushion along with more safety.

If you are going that far without seeing any supplies, water may be even more important than fuel. At least you can carry water safely inside the Jeep.
For tools, I carry most every tool I've used around the Jeep because the same things I took apart at home may need help out on the trail.

Pretty hard to predict what might fail out there. Some no-brainers include an extra serpentine belt, fuses, and light bulbs. Beyond that - tie-wire, zip ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, and duct tape can go a long ways when trouble starts. Carry some oil, brake fluid, and a gallon of anti-freeze. You may be able to fix a leak, but the lost fluid still needs to be replaced. I've had to replace anti-freeze with water a couple times. It doesn't cool worth a shit.

We go out solo a lot. For sure we skip some routes that would be fool-hardy without support. We have a winch and carry a pull-pal. Not a good as a buddy with another Jeep but much better than praying your cell phone works

For sure carry some extra MREs and a first aid kit.

When boats get a long ways from everything they usually carry a flare gun.

I cut a tire down so quick and easy on the trail this winter that I started thinking about an extra spare on the roof. My tire patch kit would have been useless on the 2" cut I got across the tread. Same with a cut side wall.

For more info check out the information on expedition modded Jeeps and expedition planning here and elsewhere on the 'net.
Thanks to my REI points, I'm picking up a couple 7 gallon water jugs to keep in the Jeep in case of emergency. I'll also have plenty of dried fruit, nuts, and jerky that will last for days in case I end up stranded somewhere or just too far from the nearest town to replenish my supplies. And I'll definitely have a first aid kit with wraps and the essential necessities. I also have a snake bite kit that I've had for years and thankfully have never had to use.

As far as the Jeep itself goes, think it would be over the top to carry a spare battery for the vehicle? Just figure with all the driving and offroading, and how long it will take the abuse of the southwestern sun it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. Then again, if I don't need it....
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Ya gotta love REI points!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkfisher84
Ya gotta love REI points!
It's my toy store!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
As far as the Jeep itself goes, think it would be over the top to carry a spare battery for the vehicle? Just figure with all the driving and offroading, and how long it will take the abuse of the southwestern sun it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. Then again, if I don't need it....
A fresh top-quality battery and a test of your charging system should be enough unless you plan to use a lot of battery for winching, camping with lights and music, etc.

If you think the extra power might be needed, stuff a dual battery tray under the hood. Even if you don't spring for the cost of a dual battery hook-up, the tray is the best (and safest) place to store a spare battery.

Add jumper cables to the list.

Quick Reply: Prepping for an Excursion -- Which supplies/basket?