Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Preliminary 2012 Pentastar Gear Chart (beta)

Old 11-20-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary 2012 Pentastar Gear Chart (beta)

Here's an updated gear chart for the new transmissions and Pentastar. It's probably not perfect, but most things measured by gut an feel aren't. There is definitely some math involved, a collection of dyno charts and knowledge of how things change with bigger meats. By no means is it perfect and I'll wait for some feedback before I push any further ahead.

Based on 70mph and the same criteria as the chart I did for the FAQ.

Last edited by JPop; 11-20-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What mph is the rpm based on? I'm assuming that's what this is in reference to.

Great job by the way!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

He said 70 mph
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKChad
What mph is the rpm based on? I'm assuming that's what this is in reference to.

Great job by the way!
Sorry I missed that. 70mph and aligned with the old chart data in the FAQ.

Extremely busy with work stuff, so I don't have as much time to spend on this as I'd like. When complete and after some editing based on some feedback it will look the same as the charts currently in the FAQ I did a few years ago.

As an aside, I am stoked about the new automatic transmission. In my opinion it has seriously cramped some of the advantages I see in a manual transmission. Moving the OD ratio the wrong way on the manual eats up half the slip when the converter isn't locked up on the automatic.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jesse0376
He said 70 mph
I actually edited that in.

Totally missed it.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

That seems very accurate I have 34s with the 3.21 gears and the 5 speed auto. Cruising at 65 mph I am about 1700-1800 rpm and got on average 20 mpg. I may change the gears when I throw lockers in. Im debating 3.73 and 4.10.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Sorry I missed that. 70mph and aligned with the old chart data in the FAQ.

Extremely busy with work stuff, so I don't have as much time to spend on this as I'd like. When complete and after some editing based on some feedback it will look the same as the charts currently in the FAQ I did a few years ago.

As an aside, I am stoked about the new automatic transmission. In my opinion it has seriously cramped some of the advantages I see in a manual transmission. Moving the OD ratio the wrong way on the manual eats up half the slip when the converter isn't locked up on the automatic.
I figured 70mph was what it was based on. Thanks for the quick update. I, personally, have been pushed to my limits of how bad I hate the gearing/tuning in my 08 auto. So much so, that I have almosted traded it twice for a manual. I have not allowed myself to go test drive a '12 yet. I know the outcome if I do. Seeing this make me feel very good about sticking with an auto. Although I really miss driving a manual transmission. My girlfriend has very little experience with one and she loves to take my current JK cruising. This may be the info I need to just stick with the auto. thanks again!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
HUUH ?? Care to elaborate in simpler terms please ?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good. I know with my 4.10s, Auto, & Rubi tires, I run just over an indicated 2,600 rpm at 70 mph.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Wow! Huge improvement over the gear choices in the older JK's.

Quick Reply: Preliminary 2012 Pentastar Gear Chart (beta)