Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PR44 help needed

Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PR44 help needed

Ok so im going to be ordering a prorock44 as soon as i get my insurance check. (see my other thread) Im wonder what i will need. Im hoping that the majority of my stock stuff is still good inside my stock 44. Do i have to buy a driveshaft with different yokes or can i stay with the stock shaft? Should i get the unlimited one? I have the teraflex 2.5" for the 4 door and mine is a 2 door. i got about 3.25" out of the kit plus im putting on a front 1/2" spacer. thanks for your guy's help!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go for the unlimited. Thicker tubes, and the caster correction is great.

From looking at your pics, is the front driveshaft blown? Or is that oil leaking onto it from above? You can stay with the stock shaft, but plan on going to a double cardan with new yokes at some point, so it may as well be done now.

You should also have your shop rip that axle open and check it out. If more than just the housing is bad, look at the standard PR44 so you can use any locker, and aren't stuck with the rubi locker/35sp arb upgrade.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Go for the unlimited. Thicker tubes, and the caster correction is great.

From looking at your pics, is the front driveshaft blown? Or is that oil leaking onto it from above? You can stay with the stock shaft, but plan on going to a double cardan with new yokes at some point, so it may as well be done now.

You should also have your shop rip that axle open and check it out. If more than just the housing is bad, look at the standard PR44 so you can use any locker, and aren't stuck with the rubi locker/35sp arb upgrade.
The axle got pushed over and hit the oil pan.. made it leak
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
Ok so im going to be ordering a prorock44 as soon as i get my insurance check. (see my other thread) Im wonder what i will need. Im hoping that the majority of my stock stuff is still good inside my stock 44. Do i have to buy a driveshaft with different yokes or can i stay with the stock shaft? Should i get the unlimited one? I have the teraflex 2.5" for the 4 door and mine is a 2 door. i got about 3.25" out of the kit plus im putting on a front 1/2" spacer. thanks for your guy's help!
nthinuf is correct, go with the Unlimited. All of your Rubicon internals and DS parts will fit with the Unlimited. You'll need a new complete ring and pinion install kit. When you correct your pinion angle you may need to shorten the DS. If you haven't already done gears, now is the time to do it. There is no reason to pay gear labor install later.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well this is all insurance. my jeep was crashed. i dont have the funds to change out gears and lockers and everything for the rear. so im going to stay with the stock stuff for now. Do you guys have housings in stock that i can pick up when i get the check?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
Well this is all insurance. my jeep was crashed. i dont have the funds to change out gears and lockers and everything for the rear. so im going to stay with the stock stuff for now. Do you guys have housings in stock that i can pick up when i get the check?
If you can stay away from wheeling a while your budget recovers, you may want to just get front gears and leave the DS disconnected until you can afford rear gears. It will save you money.

Stock is a maybe. We make these housing by batch. PM sent.

Quick Reply: PR44 help needed