Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PR44 Alignment Issue/Bump-Steer

Old 02-18-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkerr
.....I was debating u-joints versus cv's as well. The CV's are so strong that if something gives it isn't going to be them. I certainly don't want to blow gears on a trail; however, the PR44 setup is a heck of a lot stronger than stock......
I'm not debating either u-joints or CVs. I'm sure I'd chose the CVs but, I have a set of evo axles. I picked them up for less than $300 last year and they are $1,000 a set. A business was closing up shop...after a couple months of emails he finally sold them to me at my price . (When it's something I don't need I'm a hell-of-a trader.)

This part adds to your post. You are correct the R&P is the weak link now in your set-up. My choice is to use CTM or spicer joints. If i use CTMs I will be in the same position as you. The spicer joints would act as the weak link. But who wants to be repairing a u-joint on the trail??? If you ever do break the R&P there is a way to stuff a dana 50 R&P in there. run, break, upgrade...run, break, upgrade...
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
I'm not debating either u-joints or CVs. I'm sure I'd chose the CVs but, I have a set of evo axles. I picked them up for less than $300 last year and they are $1,000 a set. A business was closing up shop...after a couple months of emails he finally sold them to me at my price . (When it's something I don't need I'm a hell-of-a trader.)
Wow, great deal! Can't wait to see pics of your rig.

This part adds to your post. You are correct the R&P is the weak link now in your set-up. My choice is to use CTM or spicer joints. If i use CTMs I will be in the same position as you. The spicer joints would act as the weak link. But who wants to be repairing a u-joint on the trail??? If you ever do break the R&P there is a way to stuff a dana 50 R&P in there. run, break, upgrade...run, break, upgrade...
D50 R&P? Really? That's another awesome idea. Hope I never have to do it, but will keep that in mind if I hose these gears. toymaster, you are a wealth of knowledge. Appreciate your posts.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're not understanding death wobble, you have a whole new front end. If it was properly torqued on install that won't be the issue. You have bump steer and now know that you need a bracket. Aside from you're choice on draglink and tierod you have the same front end as me, you'll like it. I've been running mine since May with no issues. I have a Fox steering stabilizer that I've never installed either, this thing is solid.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jkerr-
We're glad you're happy with the PR44. As you've so clearly stated, once you've seen stock and a PR side by side, you really understand the difference.

Like you, I prefer to build without consideration of a weak link. I want it all as strong as I can build it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ever do break the R&P there is a way to stuff a dana 50 R&P in there. run, break, upgrade...run, break, upgrade...
The Dana 50 gear set probably wouldn't be considered an upgrade.

Ring gear diameter-Pinion shaft diameter-pinion sp dia/count
D44- 8.5" ------------1.375"---------------1.125"/26
D50- 9" --------------1.375"---------------1.125/26
JK 44-8.8"------------1.625"---------------1.375/24
Old 02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
You're not understanding death wobble, you have a whole new front end. If it was properly torqued on install that won't be the issue. You have bump steer and now know that you need a bracket. Aside from you're choice on draglink and tierod you have the same front end as me, you'll like it. I've been running mine since May with no issues. I have a Fox steering stabilizer that I've never installed either, this thing is solid.
Thanks for the clarification on DW. There has been so many things attributed to it that I'm not sure what is what. Everything is torqued to 125 ft.lbs unless otherwise specified. I'm an aircraft mechanic. Don't leave home without a torque wrench.

I took it off road a bit today. I was able to climb some steep hills I've never been able to get up before. Not rocketing up either. Slow and smooth. I've always had ARB lockers. The PR44 is the only difference. It is awesome!

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
jkerr-
We're glad you're happy with the PR44. As you've so clearly stated, once you've seen stock and a PR side by side, you really understand the difference.

Like you, I prefer to build without consideration of a weak link. I want it all as strong as I can build it.
The PR44 is axle 1 of 2. You guys are building my PR60 now. Ordered via Northridge4x4. It also has every strong part I could get. Can't wait to get it. Thank you for engineering one heck of a good product. You guys are the standard that everyone wishes they could get to.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back to some alignment questions...

I got my tape measure and angle finder out today to look at the alignment. I know the trackbar bracket is part of the problem, but it just doesn't feel right at any speed. I have a lot of play in the steering and a strong pull to the left.

What I've found is my upper control arms are set to what looks to be 19" on both sides and my lowers are set to 23". I didn't take them off, but they look exactly the same side to side. With an angle finder on the bottom of the C's, however, I'm getting different readings. The drivers side is about 5.5-6 degrees and the passenger side is around 8-9 degrees. Is it normal to have a control arm set longer/shorter on one side to compensate? 3-4 degree difference seems like a lot to me.

I didn't get a chance to measure toe yet, but I think it may be a bit off as well. Would toe being center or positive cause slow steering response and wondering around? The tie rod is set with exactly the same threads showing on both ends. It looks to be installed properly. I have to move the wheel quite a bit to get the jeep to respond. More than I use to anyway.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkerr
Back to some alignment questions...

I got my tape measure and angle finder out today to look at the alignment. I know the trackbar bracket is part of the problem, but it just doesn't feel right at any speed. I have a lot of play in the steering and a strong pull to the left.

What I've found is my upper control arms are set to what looks to be 19" on both sides and my lowers are set to 23". I didn't take them off, but they look exactly the same side to side. With an angle finder on the bottom of the C's, however, I'm getting different readings. The drivers side is about 5.5-6 degrees and the passenger side is around 8-9 degrees. Is it normal to have a control arm set longer/shorter on one side to compensate? 3-4 degree difference seems like a lot to me.

I didn't get a chance to measure toe yet, but I think it may be a bit off as well. Would toe being center or positive cause slow steering response and wondering around? The tie rod is set with exactly the same threads showing on both ends. It looks to be installed properly. I have to move the wheel quite a bit to get the jeep to respond. More than I use to anyway.
I hate to necro an old thread, but you are having the exact same issues I have right now! just put in a PR44, and I can't get it to feel right. with all the arms the same length, I have more caster on one side vs the other. or if anyone knows whats wrong, that would be great! tf LCAs, RK ucas, TF track bar

Last edited by sneck; 04-30-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sneck
I hate to necro an old thread, but you are having the exact same issues I have right now! just put in a PR44, and I can't get it to feel right. with all the arms the same length, I have more caster on one side vs the other. or if anyone knows whats wrong, that would be great! tf LCAs, RK ucas, TF track bar
If you have the prosteer ball joints they are very tight when new. I had the exact same issue when I put on my PR44. I had a wandering feel in the steering. It gets better after you get about 500 miles on them. If you are certain everything else with the steering is correct the new ball joints may be the problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

teraflex recommends setting lca's at different lengths. never tried it, but it might be worth trying
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75302.pdf

Quick Reply: PR44 Alignment Issue/Bump-Steer