Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powertrax No Slip - Colorado snow

Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
No experience with that locker, but I ran front/rear detroits while living in Denver. Great on the trails, and around town on snowy streets it wasn't a big deal to get used to. But with the icy freeways and mountain roads getting up to the ski areas, the front was swapped for a truetrac the end of the first winter.

None of us can tell you how you will feel about the handling, maybe you are one of the exceptions and won't mind a locked front while driving on ice up there.
Thank you, good feedback because I ski every week in the winter. Snow was not my concern really, it is the sudden lock on ice that would be most concerning. But I can always drive my truck to go skiing
Old 09-09-2015, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squeak
If you not entirely sold on a lunchbox locker and wanted to try a limited slip locker in the front I would highly recommend the Detroit Trutrac. It's about $400 range but the thing it's pretty awesome in the snow and still works even when turning. You would probably have to have someone install it but the thing is not like other limited slips. It's a gear driven limited slip so no need to ever mess with it or replace clutch plates. Just install and let it do its thing. I live in the northeast and have them installed front and rear. They never have let me down in the snow or any terrain in that matter.
I have thought about a LSD. Have you been on the trails with it yet? I researched that there are varying lock-up potential- like when a wheel is up I the air and such. Tapping the brakes may help etc..

Thank you
Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It comes down to what you think your actual usage will be. Lots of time with tires in the air? A locker would be the better choice. Daily driver on winter roads, and you don't mind letting the brakes/BLD help lock em up when needed, go with the truetracs.

For me, I really did not notice an offroad difference between front/rear detroits, front truetrac/rear detroit, and front/rear truetracs. (though for the guys who are going to jump all over that statement - yes, I am well aware of the difference in function, I have never been a hard-core wheels-in-the-air guy)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It comes down to what you think your actual usage will be. Lots of time with tires in the air? A locker would be the better choice. Daily driver on winter roads, and you don't mind letting the brakes/BLD help lock em up when needed, go with the truetracs.

For me, I really did not notice an offroad difference between front/rear detroits, front truetrac/rear detroit, and front/rear truetracs. (though for the guys who are going to jump all over that statement - yes, I am well aware of the difference in function, I have never been a hard-core wheels-in-the-air guy)
Yep, I understand and am just weighing options. I will do selectable in the rear, just not sure up front yet. I have OBA already, so not sure...

Thank you.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dale36
I have thought about a LSD. Have you been on the trails with it yet? I researched that there are varying lock-up potential- like when a wheel is up I the air and such. Tapping the brakes may help etc.. Thank you
I have been on the trails and true tracks have not gotten me stuck yet. The truetrack will not transfer the torque to the other side when the tire is in the air. There has to be a slight bit of friction in the tire that is slipping to get the gears to transfer the torque to the side with traction. You can get it to lock by using the parking break and the break lock differential. Both of these should put enough force on the tire that is slipping and allow the truetrack to function properly and give power to the tire that has traction. I decided to this direction with my build because I didn't see myself playing on to many rocks and having tires up in the air. I went out and bought a winch just in case I ever decided to play on the rocks as a plan b.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have a dumb question. Could you run true detroits front and rear and just not engage the lockout on one side of the front axle in the ice road condition and still make this work?

This does assume you have manual lockouts of course.

This could be an option so you can have the great offroad function of the Detroits while offroad but keep and somewhat open differential for street.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by busted33
I have a dumb question. Could you run true detroits front and rear and just not engage the lockout on one side of the front axle in the ice road condition and still make this work?

This does assume you have manual lockouts of course.

This could be an option so you can have the great offroad function of the Detroits while offroad but keep and somewhat open differential for street.
Why not buy a 1000 selectable? Seems a bit more cost effective than 2100 for the hub kit plus the detroit.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dale36
I have thought about a LSD. Have you been on the trails with it yet? I researched that there are varying lock-up potential- like when a wheel is up I the air and such. Tapping the brakes may help etc..

Thank you
I have TrueTracs front and rear on my 2012 Sport manual (with Sahara wheels and tires) and I've driven it in ice (passing all vehicles stuck on the ditch), snow and offroad and I feel it's one of the best investments I've made on the Jeep.

As mentioned before, the TrueTracs won't lock when a wheel is in the air but all JKs 2007-Present have Electronic Brake Lock differentials which complement the TrueTracs perfectly. The Jeep senses the wheel without traction (in the air) and applies the brake to that independent wheel.

For the difference in price and labor over a lunchbox locker its a no brainer. No clicking, no noises, a lady on the streets and a beast off road.

This is an explanation video of the Electronic Brake Lock differential so you can get an idea of how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv2DKDinfj0

Quick Reply: Powertrax No Slip - Colorado snow