Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power steering leak on inclines?

Old 03-04-2016, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak on inclines?

Searched to see if this was common or if anyone else has experienced this issue, but found nothing, so I thought I'd ask.

The last 2 times I've been wheeling I come home to what appears to be power steering fluid leaking under the hood. The fluid seems to be coming from the reservoir because it gets all over the air box.

Is this common? It never leaks unless I've been wheeling, so I'm thinking it's coming out when I go up or down steep inclines.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

It may be over heating and pushing out of the reservoir? Or you've got a restriction in the return line from the reservoir to the power steering pump?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Overheating seems plausible, although the last outing we didn't do anything real extreme. Is there any way to remedy the overheating problem? Do they make a power steering fluid cooler?

I took it in to brakes plus and the guy said they make a special cap to stop the spillage, but I haven't been able to find such a thing online so I feel like he sent me snipe hunting 😠
Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be overheating...mine gets hot but it doesn't leak, it's more like its sweating Is your cap damaged?

You can install a simple cooler & larger reservoir to increase capacity If you really want
Old 03-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HALCYONTSF
Overheating seems plausible, although the last outing we didn't do anything real extreme. Is there any way to remedy the overheating problem? Do they make a power steering fluid cooler?

I took it in to brakes plus and the guy said they make a special cap to stop the spillage, but I haven't been able to find such a thing online so I feel like he sent me snipe hunting 😠
Yup - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ering%20cooler
Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Guess I'll need to try a cooler. The lid is fine.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HALCYONTSF
Thanks. Guess I'll need to try a cooler. The lid is fine.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Well, while the lid might be fine, I think you need to try and replicate what's going on. Perhaps put the jeep on an incline (or jack stands) and see if you can make it happen on purpose.

1. Try with it cold, steer the wheels back and forth. With the reservoir lid off, watch to see if the fluid is being pulled from the reservoir fast enough.

2. Try with it hot and see if that makes a difference.

I'm sure there's other stuff to try... there's a fellas on her that have way more experience than me.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue. I cannot find were its at either. But mine is on my air box too. I have to keep refilling the fluid also. So the story is I did a donut back in February and broke the pulley in the power steering so I purchase a new one and that's where I'm at now.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fluid boiled over and spewed out the cap. Get a decent steering cooler and you'll be good. I got my dual pass derale pretty cheaply.

Quick Reply: Power steering leak on inclines?