Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power steering issue...please help

Old 12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issue...please help

I'm having an issue with my power steering. It seems to lock up when I try to make a hard left. It usually happens when i am pulling left into a parking spot or when I turn back to the left after I reverse. I took it to a local shop and was told that I had metal shavings in my power steering fluid. Do I need to replace my power steering gear box or could it be the power steering pump? I heard that PSC can rebuild it. Would that be a better option than buying a new one? Should I try changing the fluid first before replacing it, or would that be a waste of money if there are already metal shavings in the fluid? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump...anybody?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal shavings??? That's not good. Most of the parts in the pump that go are plastic. Blew the crap outta mine, with no metal at all.

I bought a pump off ebay used of course for $65 shipped and it took me about 30 minutes to replace it. It's gotta be the easiest under hood replacement.

But, when you turn to the right it's fine? You might want to check out all your steering components first, see if you're rubbing somewhere. Jack up the front end and have someone turn the wheel back and forth slowly and see what's going on down there. I have not heard of a pump working 1 way and not the other, it's a pump, it doesn't discriminate.

And before you take their word, go buy a turkey baster at the dollar store and suck out some fluid from the reservoir to see for yourself.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would first examine the tie rods and steering linkages. In addition, your stabilizer could be binding or catching on another component.

If there isn't unintentional contact in the steering linkages, then I would replace the steering gear but flush the steering system. It's possible you have worn teeth in your sector gear but just on one side.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. It is not the steering stabilizer. I bent my stock one and replaced it thinking that was the reason for the bind, and it was still there. I also upgraded my tie rod when I replaced the stabilizer. The bind was there before and after I replaced my tie rod and stabilizer. I have already jacked up the front end as suggested and as far as I can tell, none of the steering components are rubbing/binding.

After doing a little more research, I think it might be the sector shaft. I'm going to take a look tomorrow to see what it looks like. The weird thing is that it doesn't always bind, and when it does, it goes away after a few seconds.

I'm guessing that I need a new steering gear.....any other ideas/suggestions?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks ill see what I can find.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I inspected the sector shaft over the weekend and everything appeared fine. The gears were still in tact and it didn't have any play when I had somebody move the steering wheel back and forth. I did notice that it looked like some fluid had leaked out of the steering gear box. I guess it's something on the inside of the box that is causing the issue. Any other tips/opinions?

Quick Reply: Power steering issue...please help