Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power Programmers

Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
...If and when I need more power I'll go with an SC or Hemi. But if I know what's good for me I'll remodel the kitchen first.
Smart man. Keep her distracted in the new kitchen while you build up the JEEP.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK_JOE
Smart man. Keep her distracted in the new kitchen while you build up the JEEP.
Yeah, but the problem is affording both. Have you seen what kitchen remodels cost these days? More than a Hemi conversion! Every morning I'd come out to the kitchen and think "there my Hemi"!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but the problem is affording both. Have you seen what kitchen remodels cost these days? More than a Hemi conversion! Every morning I'd come out to the kitchen and think "there my Hemi"!
So we have it narrowed down - a kitchen remodel costs more than a Hemi conversion but less than a divorce...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by skisailbike
So we have it narrowed down - a kitchen remodel costs more than a Hemi conversion but less than a divorce...
Ya know a person could grow to love the 3.8! Beats the hell out of loosing half your 401k.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Ya know a person could grow to love the 3.8! Beats the hell out of loosing half your 401k.
Really, the only folks who should be concerned about the recent market turmoil are the retirees currently drawing from their accounts, and those who are very close to doing so. For everyone else, this is a great buying opportunity. Sadly, I was hoping to start drawing from my IRA in March, when I turn 59-1/2, so that I could buy a new Shrockworks rear bumper. It looks like that may be put on hold for a while.

Back on topic regarding the Hypertech programmer: My advice is if you can afford it, and you're not a tightwad, go ahead and buy it. If you're a tightwad or you can't afford it, buy the Accupro so that you can get your gears and tires right.

I agree with the previous poster regarding getting more performance from a Jeep, and that pretty much applies to all vehicles: Real mods like we did when I was a kid just aren't out there. CAI, programmers, exhausts are weak substitutes for what we used to do to improve power. Gears will give you the biggest boost, possibly at the expense of gas mileage (and possibly not--there are a number of variables).
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

While we certainly had more options for gaining some muscle in the past such as cams, heads and valve train parts we certainly also took advantage of the same type of stuff we have available today. Moroso radius domed air filters, K&N filters, headers and exhaust were all quite commonplace to squeeze more power out of those V8s. What we didn't have is programmers that could boost performance and unfortunately we still don't have any that are friendly with other intake and exhaust upgrades.

Unfortunately it appears that we still have a bit of a wait for Hypertech to have a better understanding of their customer base or Superchips and Diablo to offer products for the platform. I don't need a hemi or a supercharger, just a tuner company that grasps the concept that if I buy a tuner I probably made some other upgrades as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV unit looks nice, but as you said, it's more of a factory setting on/off/adjust switch than a programmer.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

A lot of negative reviews here, so Ill throw in my experience.
I have a standard 6 spd X. I used the Hypertech programmer and added a Air Raid CAI. I noticed a huge difference in waking up that 6 cyl and absolutely love it.
Well worth the money spent. Others that wheel with me can vouch for the performance gains.
So to the naysayers..

Quick Reply: Power Programmers