Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power Programmers

Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Rai
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Programmers

in new to the jeep scene and i was wondering if you guys use plug-in power programmers - or do you tune them locally on a dynotuner for more power?

i am not talking about high modded drivetrain jks, but more for getting all that you can get out of your stock drivetrain.

what would you suggest? brand?

thaNKS
Old 01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Some say programmers work, some say they don't. I'm in the they don't do enough to justify their cost camp. My opinion is that you avoid programmers, cat-backs, CAI and thottle body spacers and spend that money on the one think that really works on a JK - GEARS.

If you want more performance from a JK you have three choices: gears, supercharger, or Hemi. Let your wallet determine your choice. (not that gears wouldn't be necessary or benefit an SC or Hemi).
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll throw in my opinion on this one having used a programmer in the past and working with Diablosport in the development of a tuner. Can they work? Absolutely, on the right kind of vehicle. On our Jeeps you're lucky to pick up 10-12 HP AND you have to now run Premium gas. Is that worth $450 and 40-cents a gallon to you? It sure isn't to me. Save your money, and put it towards a good set of gears. Even the intakes just are not worth it on our Jeeps, like the exhaust, all they do is make things louder, NOT faster.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The JK programmers are not as developed as other platforms. While the Diablo gave me access to about 25rwhp and 25rwtq on my 5.7L LX, they do not yet have anything for the JK 3.8L platform. Best bet is to buy a used JET Stage II for ~$100 on the Bay and be glad for the better shifts. I don't think they give you more power per se, but seem to give you access to the power you are already making more immediately. I wish Johan and the guys would come up with something for us.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Rai
JK Newbie

thanks guys!!

do you guys have any cheap laptop programs that are anygood

i know the ls1 crowd has ls1edit
Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll jump in... What programmer or the like do you recommend to recalibrate the speedo and shift points after gears and larger tires????
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

It's very much a one programmer market for the JK to do tire, gear and speedometer corrections, the Hypertech Max Energy. The rest aren't widely used and you would need to do a fair amount of research on them. Don't expect large amounts of performance enhancements unless you are running a stock air box and exhaust. With each intake and exhaust upgrade made you will minimize what the Hypertech will deliver.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the future and by no means is the Hypertech as robust as a Superchips or Diablo programmer.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-linux
The JK programmers are not as developed as other platforms. While the Diablo gave me access to about 25rwhp and 25rwtq on my 5.7L LX, they do not yet have anything for the JK 3.8L platform. Best bet is to buy a used JET Stage II for ~$100 on the Bay and be glad for the better shifts. I don't think they give you more power per se, but seem to give you access to the power you are already making more immediately. I wish Johan and the guys would come up with something for us.
I drop a hint to Johan and Mike about every 6 months or so that the Jeep guys are hungry for a Predator, but they are so busy with other stuff I haven't made much headway. I worked with them on the Trailblazer SS product, picked up over 30 rwhp and 40 rwtq with just the tune. Then they did the tuning for me when I turbocharged it. Sadly nothing in the works for the Wrangler...yet...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork
I'll jump in... What programmer or the like do you recommend to recalibrate the speedo and shift points after gears and larger tires????
As to getting the speedo and odo calibrated the cheapest way, at this point in time, is the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. I think there is another company that sells the exact same unit under their brand name. Problem being that the other companies customer support is supposed to be as bad as Hypertechs is good. At any rate the cost is arund 200 from Northridge 4x4. ALL it allows you to do is adjust for gears and tire size. The shift points return to stock but the Jeep feels much better because now the computer knows the actual speed of the vehicle and is not making decision based on bad data.

My wife hated the way the vehicle drove before getting the speedo calibrated. Enough so that she pulled off the freeway one day and callled me telling me something was wrong with the Jeep as it didn't feel right. It is a lot of money to just do that one thing but it is worth it if you change tires and gears.

I understand that you can upgrade the unit to the Hypertech Max Energy if you are so inclined. I'm not. If and when I need more power I'll go with an SC or Hemi. But if I know what's good for me I'll remodel the kitchen first.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Westbayou
I drop a hint to Johan and Mike about every 6 months or so that the Jeep guys are hungry for a Predator, but they are so busy with other stuff I haven't made much headway. I worked with them on the Trailblazer SS product, picked up over 30 rwhp and 40 rwtq with just the tune. Then they did the tuning for me when I turbocharged it. Sadly nothing in the works for the Wrangler...yet...
Sweet. I'll have to get some posts going on the Diablosport forums again asking WTF on the JK programming. I'd think they could do something now that the Trinity has been released.

Quick Reply: Power Programmers