Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power Mirror Inquiry for Pre '11 JK's

Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up buying a bottle of spray de-icer....
I miss my heated mirrors....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump to the top for any updates
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

I recently ordered a 2011 four door wrangler and at the end the salesmen mentioned it would have the heated power mirrors. I was greatly disappointed. On my current Jeep I had the mirrors on the A-pillar and I didn't really want to give up the power port in the center stack. I could not find anything that indicated it would come with the Jeep. Guess I will know for sure soon.

Once I get it I will pull the door plug and see how many wires are going through it for you guys.

I finding parking in the garage is enough to clear the mirrors if they get iced up during the day.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just put a towel over your rearviews the ice will be on the towels but not the mirrors themselves
Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some info I came across, hope it provides some insight:

POWER FUNCTION;
The Power Heated mirrors are controled by the power "joystick" switch on the center stack (where the driver side 12v outlet was). This switch only controls the movement of the mirror glass.

Below is a screen capture of the connector for the power switch outlining pin layout. 12v power for the mirrors is supplied by the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) through fuse # M26 (10A) and TIPM Connector C5 (Pin #6). From the TIPM power source a wire is run directly to pin #5 of the power mirror switch (Dark Green w/ Red tracer 20 gauge) in the instrument panel.

Your TIPM may already have the fuse location # M26 for power mirrors and may possibly be tapped through the TIPM connector C5 (Brown one) to supply the power to the power mirror switch. I would try this frist to see if you can tap into that power source that is already fused. If it does not work then simply run your own power from the battery with an inline 10A fuse.

Once your power mirror switch is powered, in theory you will only have to run the horizontal and vertical control wires, ground wires and splice into the panel lamps circuit for switch lighting.

The switch is grounded through pin #4 by a 22 gauge black/white wire at one of the main grounding points on the body, just below the passenger dash area near the front passenger door strap hook.

The panel lamps lead (20 gauge wire) may be routed from pin #2 of the mirror switch to connect with the panel lamps circuit. At least in the 2010's the panel lamps circuit is recognized by a 20 gauge wire with orange and gray coloring. On the 07-10's, the nearest location for this circuit should be the A/C heater control panel in the center stack (pin #2 of that connector shown below).

The rest of the power mirror control wires may then be routed to each power heated mirror. From the power mirror switch, pin #7 and #9 connect to the driver side mirror each with a 22 gauge wire, they control the vertical and horizontal respectively. Pin # 6 and #8 run to the passenger mirror and do the same. Pin #3 from the power miror switch is spliced and run to each mirror.

POWER MIRROR

Now looking at the mirror connector end (I have attached the passenger image as an example).

You can easily see which connections go where as I mentioned in the previous paragraph. What I must add is that the power mirror must have a ground routed back down through the door wiring bundle and attached to a body ground. What you may also notice is the lead for the heater element on pin #5, that lead is tied to a relay system which energizes the heated mirrors when the rear defog circuit is powered (discussed below).

HEATED MIRROR FUNCTION

The Heating Element portion of the mirror is connected by a single 18 gauge wire from each mirror to a power source.

The Heated Mirror circuit is tied directly to the Rear Defog system on the HARDTOP models (you will need the HT wiring and sales code added to do this). When the rear defog button is pressed a signal is sent to the TIPM over the communication network (CAN BUS, through the cluster on 07-10's or directly on the 2011's). This signal causes the TIPM to activate REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY to supply power to the J14 FUSE (rear window) and M35 FUSE (side mirrors). As you know the side mirror circuit was not included in the 07-10's but was on the 2011's.

The Heated Mirrors are powered via the TIPM through a dedicated fused source listed on the TIPM as fuse # M35 (10A). Please check your TIPM to verify that you have the M35 fuse location. I just went to test my 2010 TIPM and the M35 fuse location is not energized at all until the key is in the RUN position and the rear defogger is activated.

In theory all we must do is add the wire from the TIPM and slice it to connect to each mirror. If everything goes smoothly we will have an energized wire the way the 2011's are anyway.

To do this you must locate and add a 20 gauge wire at the TIPM connector #C5 (Brown one) at pin # 19, run it through the firewall, then splice it and connect to the HEATED MIRROR DRIVER pin location #5 of each mirror.

TIPM Connector C5 (Brown)

Let me know if there is any questions of discussion.

FYI: I have not completed this MOD yet myself but have done the research. I have found the power heated mirrors for as low as ~ $90 but I cannot locate the power mirror switch part number. If anyone have access to that info then let me know!

Last edited by Matt08jk; 02-19-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

ok, I looked further on the Mopar e-store.

The best I can come up with is:

SWITCH, Mirror, Instrument Panel, PN 56046631AA, MSRP $NA

Power Heated Mirror, Side Right, PN 5182174AA, MSRP $117 (Cost ~ $80)
Power Heated Mirror, Side Left, PN 5182175AA, MSRP $111 (Cost ~ $75)

GLASS, Replacement, Power Heated Mirror, Side Right, PN 68125584AA, MSRP $NA
GLASS, Replacement, Power Heated Mirror, Side Left, PN 68125585AA, MSRP $NA
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am also very interested.
The switch looks oddly familiar .... if you guys check interior pics of the Patriot and Compass you will see an-almost identical knob, willing to bet the switch is the same
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Six pages and not one answer....lol
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for working on this guys. We really appreciate your efforts. If you guys figure this out, a lot of forum members will be stoked!

Flash
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
ok, I looked further on the Mopar e-store.

The best I can come up with is:

SWITCH, Mirror, Instrument Panel, PN 56046631AA, MSRP $NA

Power Heated Mirror, Side Right, PN 5182174AA, MSRP $117 (Cost ~ $80)
Power Heated Mirror, Side Left, PN 5182175AA, MSRP $111 (Cost ~ $75)

GLASS, Replacement, Power Heated Mirror, Side Right, PN 68125584AA, MSRP $NA
GLASS, Replacement, Power Heated Mirror, Side Left, PN 68125585AA, MSRP $NA
I was told today that the mirror switch is on backorder, there is no indication when it will be released for sales. Good news is cost is just over $10.

Quick Reply: Power Mirror Inquiry for Pre '11 JK's