Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Power Mirror Inquiry for Pre '11 JK's

Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20JK10
Heated mirrors are usually on all the time. I've never seen a car with heated mirrors that had a switch for them.
This is what I was refering to: (from the 2011 JK Service data on techauthority.com)

DESCRIPTION

Electrically heated outside rear view mirrors are optional on some models. Vehicles with this option can be visually identified by the International Control and Display Symbol icon for rear window defogger, which appears on the lower inboard corner of each outside rear view mirror glass.

The heated mirror system operates in concert with the rear window defogger (EBL) system and is controlled by the rear window defogger switch in the mode control knob, located in the A/C-heater control in the instrument panel. An amber indicator lamp in the mode control knob will illuminate to indicate when the system is ON.

The heated mirror system only operates in concert with the EBL system, and will automatically turn off after a programmed time interval of about ten minutes as long as the ignition switch is in RUN. After the initial time interval has expired, if the rear window defogger system is turned on again during the same ignition cycle, the heated mirror system will automatically turn off after about five minutes. The heated mirror system will also turn off if the ignition switch is turned to any position other than RUN or by manually pressing the rear window defogger switch a second time.

Circuit protection for the heated mirror system is provided by a fuse located in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).

OPERATION

When the rear window defogger switch is pressed, the rear window defogger (Electric Back Light) (EBL) system becomes activated and an electric heater grid located behind the glass of each of the outside rear view mirrors is energized. When energized, each of these heater grids produce heat to help clear the outside rear view mirrors of ice, snow, or fog.

The heating grid behind each outside mirror glass cannot be repaired and the mirror glass must be replaced if inoperative or damaged.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read through the entire thread so I appologize if this has been covered already. Is it possible that the wiring for the mirror defrost could be connected to the same wires that control the rear window defrost on the hard tops in the chance that these mirrors can be retrofitted? I know in all other vehicles I have had that have heated mirrors they came on with the rear window. That could at least eliminate some relays and simplify the retrofit for those with a hard top. I wouldn't mind adding this to mine.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

only 1 switch. looks like when you push the defrost it turns on the rear window and the mirrors at the same time. im in texas so no ice yet. you should be able to tap in to your rear defrost at the control head.
quick pic of mirror switch for 2011 (right above 4x4 gear shifter)
http://www.jeep.com/shared/2011/wran...oto_int_33.jpg
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by oeser
I didn't read through the entire thread so I appologize if this has been covered already. Is it possible that the wiring for the mirror defrost could be connected to the same wires that control the rear window defrost on the hard tops in the chance that these mirrors can be retrofitted? I know in all other vehicles I have had that have heated mirrors they came on with the rear window. That could at least eliminate some relays and simplify the retrofit for those with a hard top. I wouldn't mind adding this to mine.
Yes, the service info from chrysler seems to sugget that is the case. See post #32 above. The mirrors are controlled by the same setup that the rear defrost is.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

I found this out today.

2011 JK Mirror,

Left Side 5182175AA - $83.25
Right Side 5182174AA - $87.75

No info on the control knob yet.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
I found this out today.

2011 JK Mirror,

That's hilarious they are only $20 more each than the 2011 sun visors. Somethings not adding up.....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
I found this out today.

2011 JK Mirror,

thanks for the info, looks like 2011 replacement parts prices are showing on online catalogs, did you get this price at a dealer or online parts catalog?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96

That's hilarious they are only $20 more each than the 2011 sun visors. Somethings not adding up.....
Yeah, I still want to make sure they are the complete power/heated mirror...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fastrat350

thanks for the info, looks like 2011 replacement parts prices are showing on online catalogs, did you get this price at a dealer or online parts catalog?
It's an online mopar wholesale place but not a site sponsor as far as I know. Email me if you are interested for info.

Quick Reply: Power Mirror Inquiry for Pre '11 JK's