Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powder Coat Question

Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mOjO_JK
How about using self etching primer....I think that's what its called.....is that any better than just using a primer?
A self etching primer provides better adhesion if you have a fairly smooth surface to paint. It's a must for polished steel or aluminum if you aren't going to sand blast.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
or you can get the bumper sand blasted and re paint yourself , i had to do that on my front bumper
right after sand blasted

after i bedlined it
That looks sweet!...what's did u bedline it with?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Prime8

A self etching primer provides better adhesion if you have a fairly smooth surface to paint. It's a must for polished steel or aluminum if you aren't going to sand blast.
This is all good to know....cause I plan on getting a bumper and the one I want comes bare metal from poison spyder
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all good to know....cause I plan on getting a bumper and the one I want comes bare metal from poison spyder
Those are the bumpers I'm looking at getting eventually too. Want to paint them an accent color, but for easy touchup reasons, I'll probably keep them black... If you want to evaluate powder coaters, ask them about their process. Almost everyone does a one coat process, which is where most of the headaches come from. Powder, when melted, becomes a liquid. Due to surface tension and fluid dynamics, liquids don't typically round sharp corners. Therefore, a one step powder coat leaves a very thin layer at any sharp corners that introduces a weakness and easy failure mechanism built-in! The proper way to do it is to apply the first coat and put it in the oven. When it becomes semi-amorphous (ie gooey, but not yet watery) you apply a second coat that sticks to the first coat and allows much better corner coverage, since the gooey powder doesn't pull away from the corners as much. Then they need to finish baking and curing it while its still hot.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM
JK Super Freak

That looks sweet!...what's did u bedline it with?
Dupicolor bedliner

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Question