Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powder Coat Question

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat Question

Some of the powder coat is coming off in a few areas from rubbing and the areas are beginning to rust. Just want to precent it from spreading. Any solutions?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NJBlackBetty
Some of the powder coat is coming off in a few areas from rubbing and the areas are beginning to rust. Just want to precent it from spreading. Any solutions?
sure, clean up the effected areas making sure all the loose powder coating is knocked off and then hit it up with some rustolium or the like
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks bro. Will do as soon a it stops raining!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went to the store and didn't know exactly which rustoleum to buy. So many damn diff options. Any suggestions? Its a flat black powdercoat on the OR-FAB.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna have to disagree with WoL for once! Once powder coating starts chipping, it will continue to spread forever, since it forms a "coat" on the material that is essentially one piece. Liquid paint is weaker, but the spread can be stopped by removing rust, cleaning, roughing, priming, and painting. You can temporarily slow powder coat with touch up paint, but it never truly adheres and you may even end up getting moisture in the void between the remaining powder coat and the steel, causing accelerated oxidation.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

So no options to get rid of it? There has to be something. It's on my Or Fab tire carrier where them Master lock secures the tire on the wheel/pin. Kind of an eye sore.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So no options to get rid of it? There has to be something. It's on my Or Fab tire carrier where them Master lock secures the tire on the wheel/pin. Kind of an eye sore.
Well, like WoL said, you can clean the area, remove the rust, and spray-can it. I was just telling you that that is a temporary solution. It doesn't fix the underlying problem, which is that the original chipping has allowed air between the steel and the remaining powder coat, ruining the seal and making further chipping much easier. I touch up powder with a spray-can if I have to, but I also keep an eye on that part I painted to make sure there aren't any signs of further chipping or corrosion under the paint.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Just sand well around the exposed areas making sure you go to the metal and do not see any rust left.

Then apply a good primer before painting. Rustoleum has one that I used on my aluminum wheels that is holding quite well.

It will be tough to match the paint. I also have an or-fab carrier that started rusting almost immediately after I installed it. Don't know if it was a bad batch or their finish really sucks. For what I read in this forum, it seems the second. The impression I have from mine is that or-fab does not prepare the surface well before applying the powder coat paint.

So, my suggestion, which is what I'll do this Summer on mine, is to take it out of your Jeep, sand well the rusted areas and around, prime and paint the whole thing. I'll use Rustoleum flat matte black on mine. This will make easier to touch-up later.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

How about using self etching primer....I think that's what its called.....is that any better than just using a primer?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

or you can get the bumper sand blasted and re paint yourself , i had to do that on my front bumper
right after sand blasted

after i bedlined it

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Question