Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powder Coat or new wheels???

Old 12-27-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat or new wheels???

I am doing my wheels next and I can't decide on powder coating my stock 17's or getting all new wheels. I only have about 700 to spend. If I go new I want it done right, TPMS and what not. How much does that all cost, and what rims would you recommend?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

everyone will have their personal preference, so it comes down to what YOU want on your rig.
if you want new wheels now, you could just go for inexpensive steel wheels.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on it coming down to personal preference. I personally like the stock 17" wheels compared to most aftermarket wheels so I got the 1.5" spacers and mounted my 37's. If I were going to make them black I think I would rather paint than powdercoat. Again, you will hear pros and cons both ways but you can touch up a painted wheel easier than a powdercoated wheel and a properly prepped and painted wheel will be pretty darn durable. Around here you can get a Jeep wheel powdercoated for ~$60. If you buy decent primer, paint and prep materials you can paint all (5) for around that price. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

After getting new rims, I wish I had just spent the money on bigger tires and spacers.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how much PC runs where you are at be we got quotes at one point for $50 per wheel so it isn't cheap....IMHO I'd look at new rims cuz you could get a better backspacing as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Spacers are definately not the "ideal" way to go if you can help it. I know everyone is going to respond with the old " I have been running spacers for years" line, but ask anyone who knows anything about tires and wheels and they will tell you it stands to reason that a wheel that is made to fit the JK is going to be safer and less hassel than a wheel that is moved outside the body with a spacer. This is such a personal decision on wheels that you just have to go with what you like, you will never get 10 people with the same statement.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by largo
Spacers are definately not the "ideal" way to go if you can help it. I know everyone is going to respond with the old " I have been running spacers for years" line, but ask anyone who knows anything about tires and wheels and they will tell you it stands to reason that a wheel that is made to fit the JK is going to be safer and less hassel than a wheel that is moved outside the body with a spacer. This is such a personal decision on wheels that you just have to go with what you like, you will never get 10 people with the same statement.
I don't want to steer this off topic but there have been a few independant studies that show the stock Jeep wheel will break before a Spidertrax wheel spacer will. One was posted on this forum a while back.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1696817

It's not a matter of what I've been doing for years or the fact that I've had more than a little experience beating on Jeeps. I would never say a wheel spacer is safer than an aftermarket wheel but if you are trying to get your factory wheel BS where you need it and you purchase a quality spacer and install it properly you won't have an issue related to the spacer. I would challenge anyone reading this that knows anything about tires and wheels to show me a wheel or domestic made spacer failure not related to the installation.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

If you plan on getting bigger tires go with the new rims better backspacing. If not powder coating may be the way to go.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New!!!!!!!!!!

go with new wheels....i got 5 sweet pro comp 18"s for about 600 shipped for 4wd. i was in the same boat. Go New!!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you get them powder coated by someone that knows what they are doing they are going to be fairly durable. If you are only working with 700 it may be better to powder coat yours and then see how you like the rig. If it turns out you don't like it you can save some more cash and sell the powder coated OEM's that should sell well.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat or new wheels???