Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pothole sheered off lower trackbar mount from axle...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pothole sheered off lower trackbar mount from axle...

Subject says it all, I was on my way to dinner tonight after work when I hit a pothole, there was a loud knock and then the steering felt 'soggy' and 'mooshy'. It seemed to be ok after few moments so I accelerated and then, Death Wobble. Freaked the **** out of me so I pulled into a parking lot right away. Upon jumping out and trying to survey the damage, I couldn't see anything with my untrained eye. I called up a buddy who is knowledge in all things jeep and he came over. We tried a few things, checking all joints and nuts/bolts. Then we turned the wheels, drivers side looks fine... he gets on the ground and finds the problem... the lower trackbar mount has sheered off the axle.

So.. I'm not quite sure what to do as shops and dealer service depts were closed at this time and I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice..

I don't know what it would cost to have the mounts welded and reinforced, I'm assuming a few bucks since everything would have to be taken apart. Anyone know?

If the cost is too much, I would probably opt to buy a Rubicon D44 factory axle and swap out my D30. The obvious question is the trackbar weld stronger on the D44?

Lastly, anything think this would be repaired under warranty ? I have a 4 inch lift and a stock trackbar...

My buddy said that I would most likely upgrade my trackbar, I can go with that and think that's a good idea.

Any other thoughts? or options?

TIA.

Last edited by LoPo; 02-04-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

It depends on how much you want to spend.

Cheapest route, get the bracket rewelded back on. If you have the funds get a D44 front axle, would recommend getting an adjustable front trackbar in either scenario. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hey

not to be rude; but check the search; I don't have the exact answer but i think this issue has come up before with certain lift kits creating a weak point where your's failed...

if that is the case, no, it is not under Jeep warrenty... (maybe under someone elses)

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 02-04-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm assuming you have the Skyjacker track bar mount (extension). Like others have said, you're not the first. I would either have your OEM bracket re-welded/reinforced and go with an adjustable bar, or the Currie relocation bracket if you choose to retain your OEM bar.

On a side note, I would do some research on this board, gather the # of times this has happened, and contact Skyjacker. IMO, this is definitely a recall issue (by Skyjacker) as safety/driveability is definitely a concern in a death wobble situation. Any reputable company should stand behind their products and offer you a reasonable solution.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nukeman
I'm assuming you have the Skyjacker track bar mount (extension). Like others have said, you're not the first. I would either have your OEM bracket re-welded/reinforced and go with an adjustable bar, or the Currie relocation bracket if you choose to retain your OEM bar.

On a side note, I would do some research on this board, gather the # of times this has happened, and contact Skyjacker. IMO, this is definitely a recall issue (by Skyjacker) as safety/driveability is definitely a concern in a death wobble situation. Any reputable company should stand behind their products and offer you a reasonable solution.
Very good points Nukeman and thanks. I'm reading through old threads right now and seeing how many others have had this problem is really disappointing. I bought this Jeep with the skyjacker lift installed... otherwise I would have definitely gone in a different direction such as RE 4.5 Long arm lift. I still plan to in the future when the fundage becomes available.

I'm going to call a shop in the morning about the weld and ordering adjustable trackbars for the front and rear. Would it make sense to get the drop bracket in conjunction with the adjustable trackbar or are the replacements for the same solution?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you order adj. trackbars, then no, you won't need any additional bracketry. They will mount to the OEM bracket on your axle. Just a suggestion, I went with the Full Traction trackbars and am very satisfied.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LoPo
I bought this Jeep with the skyjacker lift installed...
You bought your Jeep with the lift installed. I assume you bought the Jeep new from a dealership?
In that case I would take it back to the dealership and make them deal with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That had to be one hell of a pot hole. how big was it ?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Currie makes a front track bar bracket that bolts on the the existing one, and then is welded to the upper control arm mount. Pretty much bullet proof.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

my bracket broke off parallel parking.

Quick Reply: Pothole sheered off lower trackbar mount from axle...