Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pot Hole Wobble?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pot Hole Wobble?

Hello Everyone. I recently moved to NJ and it seems like there are more pot holes than road around here. This would be nice if I was in the woods, but I would like to drive peacefully to the store when I go out. I do not know if I am experiencing death wobble, but every time I hit one of these pot holes my steering wheel starts to shake uncontrollably. When I slow down it goes away. I have a 4" TeraFlex lift with 35"KM2's, and a teraflex steering stabilizer. Can anyone tell me what causes this and how to fix it? Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is your stabilizer, Mine had started leaking after 7 months. teraflex sent me a new one. cleared up the problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsp
How old is your stabilizer, Mine had started leaking after 7 months. teraflex sent me a new one. cleared up the problem.
You're wrong. Leaking stabilizer is not the cause of DW. You just masked the problem. You will have DW later if you don't check your front trac bar, directions parts and control arms

Last edited by Brice de Nice; 03-17-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good read here, checkout planman's post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...n+death+wobble
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to slow down to make it stop its death wobble. Plenty of info, do a search. Are you stock or lifted?

Oh and I feel you on the potholes.

Here in NY I feel like I got beat up by a 300 pound man by the time I get to work.

Good to know my taxes are going into someone's pocket because the state is broke and I have yet to see any road crew filling potholes.

Last edited by Hellbound13; 03-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe my Jeep has the same problem. My most recent issue of JP magazine went over common failures on the JK. Ball joints was on the list if you increased the tire size. It would be a good place to start.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Bump steer is actually merely masked by a steering stabilizer.

Its typically caused by the linkages not being parallel, so that when the tire is deflected by a bump, the difference in the angle creates a steering effect, called, oddly enough, bump steer.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's bumpsteer - I have that exact setup and you need to either get a drop pitman arm or a drag link flip so you can eliminate the bumpsteer.

Quick Reply: Pot Hole Wobble?