Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Post Lift (Not Quite Death) Wobble

Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Lift (Not Quite Death) Wobble

So after installing a Currie 4" Lift (which is a very complete kit that includes weld-on track bar brackets, new UCAs/LCAs, etc etc), and putting on 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlars, I have a little of a flutter/wobble at freeway speeds. It doesn't quite feel like it's about to swerve off the freeway, but it's a pretty disturbing vibration/flutter (definitely not good).

I got a professional alignment at a good shop right after the lift, and this problem has been there from the first time I took it up past 60 on the freeway.

I'm going to follow the standard DW diagnosis steps for this since I think they will apply, but one thing I've noticed that may be a good lead is:

When turning the wheel from left to right at a standstill, the front of the Jeep moves ever so slightly before the tires actually start to turn (meaning while turning steering wheel left the body moves ever so slightly rightward before the tires actually start to turn left.

My question is - Is this normal when running larger tires? If not, the only assumption I can make is that something is wrong with the trackbar, but everything was installed correctly and I don't see any play.

Any tips, pointers or wild guesses and much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front end will move a tiny bit when steering like you describe.

Have you tried rotating the tires front to back to see if it's a tire balance issue?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dave nelson
So after installing a Currie 4" Lift (which is a very complete kit that includes weld-on track bar brackets, new UCAs/LCAs, etc etc), and putting on 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlars, I have a little of a flutter/wobble at freeway speeds. It doesn't quite feel like it's about to swerve off the freeway, but it's a pretty disturbing vibration/flutter (definitely not good).

I got a professional alignment at a good shop right after the lift, and this problem has been there from the first time I took it up past 60 on the freeway.

I'm going to follow the standard DW diagnosis steps for this since I think they will apply, but one thing I've noticed that may be a good lead is:

When turning the wheel from left to right at a standstill, the front of the Jeep moves ever so slightly before the tires actually start to turn (meaning while turning steering wheel left the body moves ever so slightly rightward before the tires actually start to turn left.

My question is - Is this normal when running larger tires? If not, the only assumption I can make is that something is wrong with the trackbar, but everything was installed correctly and I don't see any play.

Any tips, pointers or wild guesses and much appreciated!
I just fought some wobble after a lift install. Turned out to be a tire balance issue combined with a bad wheel bearing.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'll try swapping the fronts with the rear next and see if that solves it. I bet it's just that, they had to use a ton of weight to balance these. Being on 15's doesn't help I'm sure.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue ( wobbling, not dw above 60 ). I'm guessing it is your wheel balance. Mine took 3 balances to get it right. I finally posted here and on another forum and I was told to take it to a shop with a hunter road force balance machine. It feels for the heavy spot in the tire and wheel and calculates the exact spot for the weights to go and how much.

Last edited by JK_Convert; 07-27-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turned out to be purely a tire balance issue. The first shop that did it really screwed up apparently. My local tire shop said they were all way out of balance. Got her running great now!

Quick Reply: Post Lift (Not Quite Death) Wobble