Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Possible driveshaft issue? Can anyone help?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible driveshaft issue? Can anyone help?

So, I just wanted to take a look under my rig again since it was in the 70's today in Jersey.... I happened to come upon what may be an issue with my front DS. It looks like oil/grease that spun and shot all over. Any idea what caused this? Am I gonna find out I have to replace my front driveshaft? Please don't let it be bad news!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120312-00169.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	288285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120312-00168.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	288291
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

I'd say drive shaft time......
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
So, I just wanted to take a look under my rig again since it was in the 70's today in Jersey.... I happened to come upon what may be an issue with my front DS. It looks like oil/grease that spun and shot all over. Any idea what caused this? Am I gonna find out I have to replace my front driveshaft? Please don't let it be bad news!

Attachment 288285Attachment 288291
looks like you cv boot has finally failed. it's just a matter of time before the bearings inside go too. the good news is that you can drive without a front drive shaft installed. the bad news is that you will need to replace it.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
looks like you cv boot has finally failed. it's just a matter of time before the bearings inside go too. the good news is that you can drive without a front drive shaft installed. the bad news is that you will need to replace it.
I have heard/read about being able to drive without a front DS. However, I was unable to find out for how long I can drive it to avoid further damage. Also, are there any other signs its really gonna fail, or is it at its worst point? I do plan on replacing, but having sort of a timeframe can help me plan my funds accordingly.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup! Mine's looked like that for a few months now. Two days ago it developed the squeaks. Its getting pulled off tomorrow night before it fails completely. I knew this day was coming, but I wanted to ride it out to the bitter end. Looks like a new Coast 1310 in my future.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

fix that leak
driveshaftparts.com/cv-joints-shafts/complete-boot-kit-for-me807/prod_4816.html".driveshaftparts.com/cv-joints-shafts/complete-boot-kit-for-me807/prod_4816.html[/URL]
i just fixed my front driveshaft on my 05 liberty CRD
i bought the complete cv joint kit listed
worked like a charm
if you have ever changed a cv joint on an axle its that simple
[.driveshaftparts.com/cv-joints-shafts/jeep-front-driveshaft-cv-joint/prod_430.html"].driveshaftparts.com/cv-joints-shafts/jeep-front-driveshaft-cv-joint/prod_430.html[/URL]
reuse your bolts though the ones in the kit dont fit well with their big bolt heads

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been slinging grease for about 20000 miles now. I have been prolonging the life by using a Needle fitting attached to the end of my grease gun. No signs yet of it failing or bearing going out. Unitl I start hearing noise I will continue to shot grease, or buy a new drive shaft as needed.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

If that ceases it could really do damage to your T-case. Time wise, who knows. Start saving and quick.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

I don't plan on driving too much further with it outta commission. I just hope it doesn't worsen. What's the worst, say..."side effect" of it failing & running with it "broken"? I guess id like to know, besides the transfer case getting messed up(which is bad of course), what else?

Also would like to know what's the best replacement product on the market.

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 03-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't plan on driving too much further with it outta commission. I just hope it doesn't worsen. What's the worst, say..."side effect" of it failing & running with it "broken"? I guess id like to know, besides the transfer case getting messed up(which is bad of course), what else?.
Driveshaft comes loose at speed and beats the crap outta everything under your jeep could be just one of the side effects,plus other things just as nasty.

Also would like to know what's the best replacement product on the market.
That's relative, a driveshaft is a driveshaft. Get a double carden shaft with replacement yokes and good u-joints such as spicer.

Quick Reply: Possible driveshaft issue? Can anyone help?