Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Possible Camber problem?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its wants to go to mud
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

:rotfl mao1::r otflmao:
Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jayrav
After installing a 3" lift(Teraflex) my JK pulls to the left. I had the alignment checked twice. I have a full set of adj control arms and a front adj trackbar.

I was told that everything was normal on the first try.

I had the alignment checked again. Here are the results:

Caster: 6.7L 6.6R
Camber: -0.6L -0.8R
Toe: 0.11L 0.11R

I was told that the camber is a bit off. Will this cause the JK pull to the left?
Does this mean I have a bent axel?
Previous suggestions: switch front tires or to lengthen the drivers front lower CA a 1/8".

PLEASE HELP:tears drip:.
According to those alignment specs, it should drive straight. does it "pull" or "drift"? It could still be in the tires. If it was pulling to the left and you crossed the front tires, try rotating the left side front to rear. It's uncommon, but it DOES happen sometimes that you run into two pulling tires on one vehicle.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
According to those alignment specs, it should drive straight. does it "pull" or "drift"? It could still be in the tires. If it was pulling to the left and you crossed the front tires, try rotating the left side front to rear. It's uncommon, but it DOES happen sometimes that you run into two pulling tires on one vehicle.
How do you define "pull" or "drift"? For me it drifts since I don't feel myself constantly correcting the steering or fighting against it much. Sometimes if I don't think about I don't feel it, but as I'm driving if I look at my steering wheel its obvious that I can't keep it straight otherwise I go off to the left.

Its like a slow crawl to the left when I let go of the steering wheel.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

a pull is a obvious change in direction. aka. you let go of the wheel and immediatly changes direction. a drift is just the opposite, it goes straight and then starts moving over.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi

How do you define "pull" or "drift"? For me it drifts since I don't feel myself constantly correcting the steering or fighting against it much. Sometimes if I don't think about I don't feel it, but as I'm driving if I look at my steering wheel its obvious that I can't keep it straight otherwise I go off to the left.

Its like a slow crawl to the left when I let go of the steering wheel.
A pull is when you let go of the wheel and it pulls hard enough to actually turn the wheel in that direction. A drift is when it only slightly starts to pull in one direction and steadily gets worse, just like cyberbrain described.....quite well, I might add. USUALLY a pull is tire related and a drift is alignment related, but not every time. At this point, I'm still banking on the tires, HOWEVER, there is another posibility. When you are driving straight down the road, is the steering wheel in the center? If not, it is possible that it is the steering gearbox making it drift. When the recirculating ball type gearbox (like on the Jeep) is energized by the pump, they have a tendancy to want to find center. Some more than others. If the steering wheel is off center to the right, the gearbox could be trying center the steering sector shaft up going down the road. I have had to replace a few under warranty through the years because the drift was so noticable. That's gonna be a hard sell to a dealership, though. You'll want to eliminate everything else first. I'm still bettin on the tires.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 10-07-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
a pull is a obvious change in direction. aka. you let go of the wheel and immediatly changes direction. a drift is just the opposite, it goes straight and then starts moving over.
A pull is when you let go of the wheel and it pulls hard enough to actually turn the wheel in that direction. A drift is when it only slightly starts to pull in one direction and steadily gets worse, just like cyberbrain described.....quite well, I might add. USUALLY a pull is tire related and a drift is alignment related, but not every time. At this point, I'm still banking on the tires, HOWEVER, there is another posibility. When you are driving straight down the road, is the steering wheel in the center? If not, it is possible that it is the steering gearbox making it drift. When the recirculating ball type gearbox (like on the Jeep) is energized by the pump, they have a tendancy to want to find center. Some more than others. If the steering wheel is off center to the right, the gearbox could be trying center the steering sector shaft up going down the road. I have had to replace a few under warranty through the years because the drift was so noticable. That's gonna be a hard sell to a dealership, though. You'll want to eliminate everything else first. I'm still bettin on the tires.
Thanks guys Drift is what I'm experiencing then. And yes the steering does tend to turn left like if it was looking to center. I thought that maybe I need to re-center again but I was told that is not the case, that my steering wheel is centered. Wouldn't be a coincedence that my gearbox is out of wack right when I lifted my JK? I might be looking to make some adjustments to the lower control arms. Either lengthen the drivers side or shorten the passenger by a 1/8".

Thoughts
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks guys Drift is what I'm experiencing then. And yes the steering does tend to turn left like if it was looking to center. I thought that maybe I need to re-center again but I was told that is not the case, that my steering wheel is centered. Wouldn't be a coincedence that my gearbox is out of wack right when I lifted my JK? I might be looking to make some adjustments to the lower control arms. Either lengthen the drivers side or shorten the passenger by a 1/8".

Thoughts
When you're driving straight down the road, is the steering wheel in the center?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

When you're driving straight down the road, is the steering wheel in the center?
If I try to put the steering wheel dead center the Jk goes straight then to the left and steering also goes left if I let go. I have to keep it a little towards the right, but when I let go of the steering wheel it looks to go left(steering wheel) along with the drift I'm experiencing.

Last edited by jayrav; 10-07-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

If I try to put the steering wheel dead center the Jk goes straight then to the left and steering also goes left if I let go. I have to keep it a little towards the right, but when I let go of the steering wheel it looks to go left(steering wheel) along with the drift I'm experiencing.
If you have to hold the wheel a little to the right to make it go straight, it could be the gearbox.....but before you make up your mind, you need to exhaust everything else, first. Although it does happen, it's kinda rare. It's beginning to sound like that, though.

Quick Reply: Possible Camber problem?