Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Possible blown shock?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible blown shock?

Halo folks,

I have a full-traction 3 inch premium with the m-force shocks. We've had it 2.5 years now I guess, lift was installed before it had 10 miles on it.

Last week we were a bit chilly with evenings down around -20 degrees and daytime wasn't above -5 degrees.

A few days ago we warmed up and we're now hitting above freezing. I suddenly noticed a *tock* *tock* noise coming from the rear. Now it's not uncommon when things warm up to get frozen chunks of ice knocking around so I ignored it for a day or so. When the noise didn't go away I started to wonder and kept poking my head down under the rear to see if I could see something loose or if there was ice.

Now it's doing it more and it's gotten louder. I've found I can stand on the Shrockworks rail and rock it back and forth and I hear the *tock* *tock* noise. It doesn't seem to require much movement at all, maybe an inch of rock and it makes the noise. My wife was under the Jeep and listened and seemed to think it was coming from the shock.

I'm going to try to clear a spot on the drive so I can lay under it and have my daughter rock it back and forth. Hopefully I can isolate the noise and the problem.

My question is it possible that during the chilly period something froze on the shock and after it thawed it now became a problem? As I've said I don't see anything hanging down like it came loose or anything.

Just wondered if anyone has had some experience that is similar and can give a bit o' advice.

Cheers,
Beel
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i would pull the shock off and try to cycle it by hand. only way to know for sure if something is off.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, good thought. Obviously with everything being cold and covered with ice and mud I'm being lazy but that would be the best thing.

I'm assuming I should see consistent resistance in both the positive and negative phases?

Of course if I hear the loud *tock* noise that would be an indicator too eh?

Thank you,
Beel

Side note: I haven't noticed any change in the way it rides and at this point it's not leaning on that side.

Last edited by Beel_MT; 12-17-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Junkie

take the shock off and rock the jeep. you wont be able to put the forces that your jeep does on the shock but you can try and recreate the noise after you remove parts
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john smack
take the shock off and rock the jeep. you wont be able to put the forces that your jeep does on the shock but you can try and recreate the noise after you remove parts
Yeah, that's another point to remember but like I said it's not taking much at all to make it *tock*.
It can't be more than an inch of play before it makes the noise. At this point it's doing it almost constantly now when I drive it with all the ice pack on the roads and such.

Again, thanks for the tip.
Beel

Quick Reply: Possible blown shock?