Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Possible bent axle and plan ahead.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what mine looks like, it's pretty blatant.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Jeep new, and had under 2K miles when I went to the local fair and actually won the mud bog competition.

They built a jump that you were supposed to drive up, and drop into the above ground mud pit and then churn and burn until you stopped moving. Yea, I wasn't hearing any part of that.

I jumped so fast, I cleared a third of the pit! It landed like a garbage truck on a motocross track.

I hit the far end of the pit, where there was a wall of hard clay accruing as the end of the moat, so hard that it shot the Jeep into the air again and cleared the entire exit ramp out on the track. I landed at about a 20 degree angle on the front wheels, so if I didn't bend it going in, I didn't miss it coming out!

The fair stands were roaring, people standing and cheering. It was actually quite hilarious. I'd never do it again, but damn if all those guys in pits didn't tell me that I was wasting time being there and how their jacked up, V8 mud bog trucks would destroy this and any of us little V6 things would just be wasting the crowds time.

Funny how when it ended and I got the $300 check, no one in the pits wanted to come over and congratulate me.

So, it's been that way for 2 years now. I stock axle seals. I'm real good at changing them at this point.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many people are indicating that jeeps are coming off the dealer lot with out of spec camber, so the offset balljoints may just mean that a previous alignment showed the camber was marginally off. Why not start with having a shop throw it on a rack and print the numbers? (many will do it for free -not the whole alignment, just printing the 'before' specs). A local 4x4 shop should also be able to give a second opinion on whether the housing or c's are bent, and if any other components are wearing and might be contributing. I think I would start there before throwing money at new balljoints (and gussets/sleeves/truss if those were considerations)
Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
... Rotating never hurts!
It does at my age (66)! Fortunately a couple days of Ibuprofen does the trick.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the the movement in the upper ball joint and the fact of the tire wear I will replace them and go to get numbers then.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Possible bent axle and plan ahead.