Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is Posion Spyder still cool?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this thread a joke?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PSC Brawler rockers, and a couple months ago up in Big Sur a clearly very impaired driver backed her van into my Jeep, hard, while I was getting gas at one of the tiny stations on Hwy 1. She t-boned me in reverse, probably literally going 10-12 mph.

The result? The back of her van was really smashed. My Jeep? Not even the slightest dent. Bit of a scuff on the powder coat in two spots.

That was kinda cool.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what kind of answers you're looking for but I 'll share my recent experience. I recently went with Crawler Conceptz over Poison Spyder and I'll tell you why. At first I thought it was kind of scummy of Shad to basically rip off PS designs and then I started hearing whispers of why he left PS. I don't know if the things I heard are true or not, but they didn't paint PS in a positive light. Just before that my local Jeep shop had become a PS dealer, but his cost was higher than what Northridge and the other big sellers retail their parts for, so he openly told people to just order online from one of the big retailers. That lack of support for the little guy really pissed me off. Then they sold to Transamerica and that was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. PS does still have the 'cooler' logo though and I think that's CC's biggest weakness and one of PS' greatest strengths.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d-rap
I have PSC Brawler rockers, and a couple months ago up in Big Sur a clearly very impaired driver backed her van into my Jeep, hard, while I was getting gas at one of the tiny stations on Hwy 1. She t-boned me in reverse, probably literally going 10-12 mph. The result? The back of her van was really smashed. My Jeep? Not even the slightest dent. Bit of a scuff on the powder coat in two spots. That was kinda cool.
Very cool!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I have gotten enough negative responses that I need to rethink my question. I should have not included the word cool. I should have asked, does the purchase of PS by Transamerica change your opinion of PS?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
I think I have gotten enough negative responses that I need to rethink my question. I should have not included the word cool. I should have asked, does the purchase of PS by Transamerica change your opinion of PS?
I'm a big fan is PSC stuff. From what I've seen the quality of everything is great and I'm a big fan of the designs.

The purchase won't change my opinion of them until the quality starts to change. I saw a video a while back on the PSC Facebook page right after the purchase. PSC and Transamerica were both talking and answering questions that the purchase might raise. The idea I got was PSC was going to be able to act as their own, but with the added benefit that a larger supply chain could bring. Lower cost materials, shopping, larger distribution network, etc. Those sort of things sound great because it could lower the cost of to the consumer.

So to answer your question, no it doesn't change my opinion of PSC. Until the quality starts to suffer, the purchase could be very beneficial for both them and the consumer.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

So does it change our opinion of ps as in do we think they are sell outs?? Is that what your asking now??

If you look at all the things the owner of ps went through in the last year with cancer and such I don't think I blame him. I don't know logistically how much this merger is effecting the manufacturing and such of the parts.

I can say recent exp. I bought rock rails that were poison spyder and I didn't get all the bolts because three of them were to be reused from existing steps or rock rails back into the body. Well I got a plain sport model jeep which didn't come with steps or stock rock rails. The threaded holes these bolts go into are in the tub so it's not like I could have brought it into lowes to get a size or proper thread pitch so I called poison spyder and the first guy I talked to said they didn't know I would have to call a dealer and get the bolt size. I asked to speak to a manager and he tried to help but still ended up giving me the wrong size. I wasn't overly happy with that experience.

Do I still like ps products us they are tough as hell. Do I like their customer service it is lacking big time to say the least in my experience. I realize others may have had more positive experience but mine was not.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

I personally never liked their stuff because they brand everything with their big spider logo. Seems tacky and obnoxious. Reminds me of Abercrombie cloths that have to be loud and make sure everyone knows they're from Abercrombie.

Rather not be a driving advertisement unless I'm paid, sponsored, or work for the company.

But it wouldn't stop me from buying something from them if it was the right quality and price. Doesn't matter what other people think get it because you like it.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
As long as the quality remains I don't see a reason to not buy their stuff.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With Larry being at the helm for at least a few more years, and the fact that Trans say nothing will change and the product will still remain made in CA, it should be a good thing.
Trans wanted that "marque" brand and they got it.
Seeing what Larry and his crew have down with that brand since purchasing from Clifton a number of years ago is amazing.

Quick Reply: Is Posion Spyder still cool?