Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting

Old 12-27-2016, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Rednroll my observations are from using my Viair which is just slightly higher CFM than the HF unit at 40 psi and how it works for filling tires. When filling you need CFM over PSI to fill an empty tire. Low CFM requires a high duty cycle to keep it running long enough to fill the large volume of the 35" tire.
Thanks!!! I don't see the duty cycle published on most of the portable air compressors and that was one of the things I was just reading about, in that some of the compressors with higher CFMs have lower duty cycles and although they may fill a tire faster, the trade off is that they will shut down quicker due to over heating.

I therefore started to think, that may be the case with the Smittybilt 2781 compressors. I could be wrong, I couldn't find any duty cycles published and I'm definitely not an expert on air compressors.

However, the particular review posted below, I found on Amazon for the 2781 made me start to think that may be the case that the higher CFM of the Smittybilt was getting it at the cost of a lower duty cycle. Bottom line, I'm looking for the most inexpensive solution that I feel may give me good enough results for my needs. Which is to air down all 4 of my 35in tires to about 13psi and then be able to air back up to 30-35psi. I'm going by the reports that most others have stated they're able to air up at least (3) 35in tires with the HF before a potential cool down cycle was needed. Therefore, that's why I feel having (2) of the HF's might work out well and still cost less than the other alternatives. I'll see how it plays out and if it don't work, I'll look for a better more robust solution in the future. It will be a relatively inexpensive experiment.

2 star rating
Originally Posted by Amazon 2781 Review
Smittybilt is Twice the weight, twice the size and nearly three times the price of the 12 Volt High Volume compressors I've purchased from HF and yet, NOT twice the volume. of air! Unimpressed

I also watched this Youtube video where this guy totally let the air out of his truck tire and was able to inflate it back up to 80psi with the HF compressor. That seems to exceed my use case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMfolZsdRs

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-27-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I believe your right on this theory

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Rednroll my observations are from using my Viair which is just slightly higher CFM than the HF unit at 40 psi and how it works for filling tires. When filling you need CFM over PSI to fill an empty tire. Low CFM requires a high duty cycle to keep it running long enough to fill the large volume of the 35" tire.
the air armor 240 i bought says it has 100 % duty cycle for 40 min
but the Cfm is slightly lower @2.11/ 120 psi
it says will fill 35 " tire under 5 min , so would fill (4) -35" tires under 20 min.
with out having to shut down for cool off time .
So that being said it will fill 7 to 8 (35") tires to 35psi before you have to let it cool off for 15 to 20 min.

Thats why i chose this one . seeing i run 33s and dont air up other vehicles

Im pretty sure Q industries inc. is making most all these compressors
and so i cant see them charging a cheap price for a better compressor
it stands to reason price reflects quality to some degree id imagine.
I got the air armor 240 for sale price. still in the $150 price range retails $229.00 . im no expert on compressors but cant see the the same company offering a better compressor for $75 .00 verses their other model compressor retailing for $ 229.00
but maybe im wrong?
unless they are charging $154.00 for the 50mm ammo can

Air Armor M240 Portable 12-Volt Air Compressor Kit

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-27-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a built in Viaair, a Warn power plant and now a Smittybilt 2781. Best value out there. About 2 minutes per tire from 15 to 34 psi. No overheating. Nice portable kit.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Well, not enough space for the compressors on the inside of the frame rail above the trans skid plate like I had originally planned. There's just enough space between the frame rail and pinch seam just below the rear doors on both sides, so that's where I'm going to go for the mounting locations of the compressors.

I just need to figure out if I can fit a drill in there to drill some mounting holes into the frame rail.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the Smitty unit one of the guys I regularly wheel with has one and I have seen it fill 8 tires in a row without going into thermal shutdown. It does get hot but has not shut off during a fill. I might try a side by side with his Smitty unit and one from HF just to see. Flatten 2 tires on the Kids jeep and let them run side by side to see actual time to fill 15 to 30 or 40 psi. I would power one from each jeep so as to provide a stable voltage for comparison.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

I got this system installed and so far I'm pretty happy and impressed with it. The air pumps have been mounted under my JK going on 3 months now and are still working great.

I posted a write-up of the install over here if anyone is interested in all the details behind it.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-build-341917/

It takes me less than 10min to fill all my tires from 15 to 35psi with no thermal shut-down in 80F outside temp, a single tire takes 3min to fill, and using the system is a breeze. I pull out the air hose, flip the on switch, fill tires, then re-hang the hoses on the hose hangers.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-17-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting