Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting

Old 12-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Ever thought about raised floor in the rear? A lot of the stuff you mentioned keeping under your seat is stuff I keep in my trunk....one of the best mods I did. I realize we all have different builds, just throwing it out there.

Under-Floor Storage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I dedicated my rear cargo/trunk area to a previous project which includes a cabinet that houses dual 12in Sub-woofers, (2)6x9 speakers and 5 amplifiers delivering up to 3000 Watts of power. I like my sound systems. So my rear cargo area has limited accessibility to that trunk. The box sits on top of part of the lid. However, the box does come out rather easily and I usually pull it out to make space for camping gear when packing for camping trips. It would likely be a good idea to remove the box for off-road excursions requiring wheel air down as well. So it's not totally out of the question.

I'll likely just go with my original mounting area idea and see how it works out. If it works out, I'll post a write-up. If it doesn't, I'll post to let everyone know what went wrong so no one considers follows my stupidity.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-14-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Great box.....funny how we all see diff things cuz I still see a trunk in there! LOL. I'm subscribed and will look forward to hearing the experience. $50 for a HF compressor is limited downside. My main concerns would be mud and water, but you might not encounter those things to teh same extent. Love to see what you come up with.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Great box.....funny how we all see diff things cuz I still see a trunk in there! LOL. I'm subscribed and will look forward to hearing the experience. $50 for a HF compressor is limited downside. My main concerns would be mud and water, but you might not encounter those things to teh same extent. Love to see what you come up with.
It's hard to see from the pic, but the box covers about 2-3" of the trunk lid, making it too difficult to raise the lid when the box is sitting on top of it. I overlooked the trunk functionality aspect when planning out the dimensions of the box.

I'm hoping with the silicone seal that most of the mud will be kept out. I still have the air filter openings to worry about, but those seem pretty well tucked away and face toward the pump. Gburkett responded and seems to have had good luck mounting under other vehicles. The thing I was most concerned with is that moisture gets into the motor and then the motor rusts and freezes so that it becomes seized up.

Originally Posted by gburkett
Had a Viair compressor under 3 different vehicles over 7 years with no issues, but no under water driving. Mounted inside the jku for this reason.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-15-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under hood mount? I got the same compressor and right now it's in the bag in my trunk storage box. Was thinking about an under hood bracket but don't remember who makes it.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RageQuit4913
Under hood mount? I got the same compressor and right now it's in the bag in my trunk storage box. Was thinking about an under hood bracket but don't remember who makes it.
Synergy?

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...woUhoCuK3w_wcB
Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah man. That's it. Think I might do that myself with mine. Not too bad of a price either. This also makes it super easy to connect to the battery.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RageQuit4913
Yeah man. That's it. Think I might do that myself with mine. Not too bad of a price either. This also makes it super easy to connect to the battery.
That looks like a pretty good solution. More than what I would want to spend for a simple bracket. It would annoy me to have to lift up my hood and run hoses across my engine bay to fill tires. That's the reason I want to try some other location. Running wires won't be too difficult for where I plan to mount. They'll be mounted to a frame rail and then you just put some wire loom around your positive wire and run it through the frame rails until you reach the engine bay, then straight up to the battery.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-16-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted my compressor back by my rear sub, just made a little bracket coming up from the bolt there to the back seat bolt. Did not make the mount any wider then the sub enclosure so it be protected from things in cargo area while wheeling.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted my Viair OBA in a cradle where the evap used to be. I have to run the compressor once or twice a month, otherwise it seizes up. Used to have one under the hood and it seized up after not using it for a year, assuming it'll seize if mounted anywhere outside the passenger compartment.

On the plus side, it's out of the way and I have a connector on the bumper that's easy to access.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i ordered this

it is sealed can and could be mounted inside or out under or just portable. Ill prob just rig up a pre attached wire pair from battery
to spare me the hassle of clipping to the terminals on the battery each time. It should work pretty well for my needs/ another thought that might be doable to mount under your jeep if you wanted it sealed some how and you could prob do plenty of modifications to suit your needs from the area where you store tools . you could drill holes in it and use water tight heyco fittings to relocate switches/ air hose whatever and secure it in a location you can access easy maybe
But seeing you already bought compressors you could maybe mount them in a ammo can as well and branch off out of the can with these water tight fittings to both sides of your jeep like a junction splice box / if that would work for you ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgxfNYoXVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6b3we3Pxb8
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cordgrip.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	663081  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Portable Air Compressor outside of vehicle mounting