Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

POR15 alternative for frame painting?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow POR15 alternative for frame painting?

I was looking at POR15 for my frame touch up but WAY to expensive, anyone have a good solution that doesn't require me doing it every month or spending all my cash
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used POR15 couple years back on my YJ and it did a better job staying on my hands then the truck. Kidding, No really stayed on my face for a week and hands for 2. I just didn't find the POR15 worth the money and the sales guy convinced me to buy a gallon of the stuff when I told him I'm pretty sure a pint of so can do the job. I waisted all the money and only used like 25% of the gallon. The prep work required was crazy and I did everything perfect but didn't hold up like I wanted.

I actually find using truck bed lining spray cans a cheaper easier way of doing it and recommend it. Sure you might have to do touch up every year but we are talking 10 dollar cans and hardly no prep.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not owning a truck, I don't know anything about truck bedliner spray paint. What have you used ?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have used Eastwoods " 2K Ceramic " on my 66' Bronco. Nice, easy to use, and is tuff as nails. I've come down and crushed rocks into powder on the trail and when i get home just wipe the dirt and debris off with a rag. The paint is still there with barely a blemish. This stuff is rock hard. can't scratch it with a nail.

It is pricey but way better than POR15 if you ask me, and I've used both. 2K Ceramic is $59.00 a Qt. and that will just about do an entire frame.

they also have some rattle-can chassis black that is suppose to be pretty good for touch-ups....check out;

.eastwood.com[/url]

eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/3061/s/2k-ceramic-cb-gloss-and-activator/category/201/[/url]

Last edited by Fly-Attack; 10-06-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clickys
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

glad i read this was gonna use the por-15 on a Yj, not no mo!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

I recently bought 2 spray cans of POR Chassis Black to give it a try - $20 per can. I will probably hit it in a week or so if you are interested in the results. Won't be doing a lot of prep I tell you that. PM me later and I will let you know how it turns out.

Stacman
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the Eastwood stuff even thou its just as expensive and I wanted something cheap in price but not quality.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question What's wrong with Rustoleum?

Before

After
Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incognito
Before

After

Rustoleum works great if you do the proper prep work. I was turned onto this by the local fire department and city workers as they use it on all there vehicles to prevent rust from the salt we have around here. Works damn well, and its only about $30 for a gallon.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Remington19
I like the Eastwood stuff even thou its just as expensive and I wanted something cheap in price but not quality.
Yeah....I know. too bad they can't stick that stuff in a rattle can, huh?

Well, keep the suggestion in mind....I know it's pricey, but it's the strongest painted surface I've seen.

Quick Reply: POR15 alternative for frame painting?