Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Popping noise in front end

Old 03-16-2015 | 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Popping noise in front end

So I have a popping noise coming from my front end, driver side only as far as I can tell. Happens only while turning. I'm pretty sure it has to either be the ball joint or u joint but not sure which so if somebody could narrow it down for me or let me know what else it might be I would appreciate it. I'm going to attempt to upload a video of the noise http://youtu.be/FcsPlOG0Ih0
Old 03-16-2015 | 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

You might look at the steering stabilizer mounting bolt. After lifting my JKU, it would barely (and I mean barely) hit and make a popping noise.
The following users liked this post:
Cory Reynolds (01-19-2021)
Old 03-16-2015 | 04:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vancepp
You might look at the steering stabilizer mounting bolt. After lifting my JKU, it would barely (and I mean barely) hit and make a popping noise.
that wouldn't be related to tire rotation like seen in the video.

OP, did you check the u-joint at all since you suspect it to be the cause? Guys come on here all the time looking for someone to tell them whats wrong. They get the wrong answer, throw money at an issue they don't have, and still have the same problem at the end of the day.

Last edited by D_engel; 03-16-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2015 | 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
that wouldn't be related to tire rotation like seen in the video. OP, did you check the u-joint at all since you suspect it to be the cause? Guys come on here all the time looking for someone to tell them whats wrong. They get the wrong answer, throw money at an issue they don't have, and still have the same problem at the end of the day.
I was able to jack up that wheel and recreate the noise by turning the wheel left and rotating it. It definitely sounds like the popping noise is coming from the u joint. I cannot notice anything visually wrong with it (but I'm not a mechanic either)
Old 03-17-2015 | 05:31 AM
JK Freak

I'm getting the exact same noise, same side, on my 2014 about 6 months after installing my MC lift. Seems to happen only when turning or some torque is on the front end. Subscribed!
Old 03-19-2015 | 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Did you figure this out yet?
Old 03-20-2015 | 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Did you check your upper track bar mount bolt? Torque is 125 ft lbs
Old 03-20-2015 | 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a u joint. I would tighten everything down while your under there
Old 03-20-2015 | 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Default had same noise

replaced track bar with monster teraflex one . Noise went away ! It was driving me crazy too , sounds like some one tapping a screw driver on front coils . Only when turning all the way to right or left and then start to move reverse or forward under load . I believe its binding of track bar along with bad bushings on the cheap factory track bar . good luck . Its not your axle joints ! i thought it was on mine too , clean them up spray them with some penetrating oil too, mine are still fine 10,000 miles later . But youl see its not the joints . 99% positive you replace the track bar and noise will be gone too. Use grade 8 bolts on that new one 9/16 x 3 .5 youl be set

note * One builder : was on to it too saying track bar try torque it but doubt that will do

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-20-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2015 | 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Will definitely look at my track bar again, thank you.

Quick Reply: Popping noise in front end