Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

poping noise in front

Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question poping noise in front

Ok here is what has me stumped and wondering, when in 4wd, hi or lo, and have the wheels turned, even just a little bit, i get a poping noise, its not consistant (just 1 pop every now and then) and seems to happen more when i have resistance against the tires, it happens both in drive and reverse. i have had few friends look and they were stumped. has anyone experianced this or even better figured out how to fix it! I have a 07 unlimited, sahara, auto trans, 4:10s, 4inch Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2s -- and was doing it before i got the 35s

Please Help!! Thank you for any advice!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does the exact same thing too. Infact, in the thread I started about it, my post was almost the same as yours, word for word. Several guys told me theres does it too and they havn't had any problems, but they don't know what it is either. I can only guess that its the front axle u-joints since the only time it does it is in 4wd. Yesterday was my first real serious wheeling trip though, and I only noticed it once the entire day. All I can say is keep an eye on your front axle u-joint caps, and other than that, just run it.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it happen on the street? If thats the case dont use it on the road.. if it happens on slick surfaces, I dont know what to tell you.. Good luck
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the reply, i was thinking it might be the joints, i guess do it till i can notice it more-- maybe its just breaking in, as i havent really wheeled it much---- yet!

can you send me a link to your thread? would like to take a peek at it
Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by racer83l
does it happen on the street? If thats the case dont use it on the road.. if it happens on slick surfaces, I dont know what to tell you.. Good luck
does it anytime im in 4wd more often with resistance though
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

you know what, looking back through my posts, I couldn't find it. I think I may have posted that on another forum
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had the same problems and it was real bad on the passanger side so i went underneath and grabbed front drive shaft around and could see the play and heard the noise in the front axle u-joint so i replaced and none of the caps had grease left in them so i replaced both of them and i havent heard anything since. good luck and hope this helps you

Quick Reply: poping noise in front