Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pop Rivet Plastic?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pop Rivet Plastic?

Is it possible to pop rivet plastic? I am looking to make something to hold my machete to the plastic part on the inside of the tailgate..
Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Is it possible to pop rivet plastic? I am looking to make something to hold my machete to the plastic part on the inside of the tailgate..
yes. but its best if you can use a washer on each rivet for extra support.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

how is the accomplished since they are rivets?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

if you can get to backside, slide pop rivet though plastic, then washer, and pop it.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Works well if you use split shank rivets. These mushroom out similar to a hollow wall anchor and can provide an alternative to using a washer - especially in bling spaces where you can't get to the back...

Do a google serach on split shank washer and you will see examples...

They even have whole plastic ones. I used them originally when test fitting my Xenons.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

thanks guys
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

This is a great topic

You fenders inner panel is held in with plastic rivits. THey don't muchroom up like a typical pop rivit. They have side sections that push? fold? outward to give a large pulling area. Can't think of the proper word for it.

Go to the jeep steeler and tell him you want to but one plastic rivit for your fender. They cost like 4$ each.... Then go to a Parts store and buy them for like .30 cents each. You will need a special puller to use them also. I used a pair of plyers and a set for side cutters. Hard to explaine how I got them to expand, but i did. Now I have the puller. Here is a link to one of the sites.. That has them.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/paint...nd-rivets.html

BTW, if you have a car quest parts store there. They carry the rivits.

Hope this helps you out. It took me forever to find all this. Also your fender flair is held in with a cute little plastic clip costing around 7$ each... I couldn't find them after market. So now I carry a handfull of them just incase a fender hits knocked off....
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by randyd
This is a great topic

You fenders inner panel is held in with plastic rivits. THey don't muchroom up like a typical pop rivit. They have side sections that push? fold? outward to give a large pulling area. Can't think of the proper word for it.

Go to the jeep steeler and tell him you want to but one plastic rivit for your fender. They cost like 4$ each.... Then go to a Parts store and buy them for like .30 cents each. You will need a special puller to use them also. I used a pair of plyers and a set for side cutters. Hard to explaine how I got them to expand, but i did. Now I have the puller. Here is a link to one of the sites.. That has them.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/paint...nd-rivets.html

BTW, if you have a car quest parts store there. They carry the rivits.

Hope this helps you out. It took me forever to find all this. Also your fender flair is held in with a cute little plastic clip costing around 7$ each... I couldn't find them after market. So now I carry a handfull of them just incase a fender hits knocked off....
Which of those rivets do I need and where can I get the puller?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Which of those rivets do I need and where can I get the puller?
Ok, I provided a link for you to follow and see the rrivits.. I was to lazy to go out and get the info on the ones i used.

So. A little more info on plastic rivits. They go by (Head diameter and grip range) Head diameter I bet you can figure out. Grip length is the tthickness of the material you plane on joining.

Now for the ones I used.
CarQuest part number 8171297.

I have about 150 of these. In 2 different head diameters. Jusy measure what you have on the jeep, although either will work just fine.

Marson is the name of the compnay that makes these rivits. They are searchable, but i saved you a little time.. Check out this link for a PDF file on all of the rivits they have.

http://www.marfas.com/images/MarsonCatalog.pdf

The Marson rivit numbers are Big head 48150 Tad smaller head 48108. The grip length will work fine for just about everything.
The Marson tool number is 48005

Sorry I can't find my recipt of the company I ordered from. The tool was on sale for something like $40. The rivits were like $0.25 in package of 100. I bought the tool in a kit that had 3 packages of 25 riivits and the tool on sale for the $40. Then I bought a package of 100.

Follow the link and you will see what the tool and rivits look like. And a short search should bring up a company that sells them all. I'm going to look again tonight and will post it here when i find it......

If you get a fer people together and split the cost, thats the way to go as you will probably nerver use them all. If ya come down here you can use mine....
Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Here is the web site where I ordered my rivit kit and rivits..
http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Blin...Kits_c_92.html
Kit #48006

More rivits..
http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Plas..._c_14-3-0.html

Quick Reply: Pop Rivet Plastic?