Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pop/Clunk Sound

Old 08-04-2019, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop/Clunk Sound

I have recently been made aware of a pop or clunk noise that is driving me insane. I made a number of upgrades over the last few months that could be contributing to this issue, or none of them. My wife was the one to initially discover the noise in question. She and I have very different driving styles. I understand that it is a lifted box and needs to be treated as such. She thinks ultra-4 isn't fast enough... Haha. I have no idea how long this has been an issue, so I'm not sure really where to start looking.

The noise comes when you take a left hand turn at 25+ mph into an incline like a driveway or parking lot. Back up and gas it a little and it sounds like it corrects itself. There are no other ill driving affects that I know of.

Here is a list of the upgrades as close to in order as possible:

Upgraded from 35" to 37" tires - Caused death wobble
Upgraded tie road from Steersmarts
Upgraded track bar and relocation bracket from Steersmarts
Added track bar reinforcement bracket with sector shaft brace from Synergy
Upgraded drag link with flip to top of knuckle from Steersmarts
Replaced/Upgraded both drive shafts to G2 double cardain shafts with 1350 u-joints (new yokes at both ends also)
Upgraded all control arms to Teraflex Alpine adjustable control arms
Upgraded sway bar links with JKS adjustable from and rear
Upgraded rear track bar with Teraflex monster bar
Added coil correction wedges to fix the rear bow and 0.75" spacers in the front to level everything
Upgraded brakes to Z36 pads with drilled/slotted rotors
Added outer front axle seals from TenFactory
Replaced ball joints with Dynatrac rebuildables
Upgraded all 4 shocks from the Teraflex 9550's to the Falcon 2.1's

--- This is when the noise was discovered ---

Upgraded front axle shafts to TenFactory chromoly
Replaced the front unit bearings while I was replacing the axle shafts
Upgraded the rear axle shafts to Yukon chromoly

From there, I have gone back and torqued, re-torqued and probably over torqued everything that looks like it could be related and that I can reach. I have focused on the track bar and sway bars as I've read those are a common source of noise. I even disconnected the sway bar links and I still got the same result, so it's not there. Everything else appears to be tight.

I have not yet had it aligned after the new tires and steering components. It should be close though. No weird wearing patterns on the tires. Could that be a possibility?

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. This is driving me nuts. Ignorance is no longer bliss.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If you look at the front frame section there is a tube that sticks out from the frame. Sometimes the sway bar can hit it. That would be the first thing I would look at. If it is hitting it simply grind it flush with the frame. I have no Idea why jeep left that tube proud of the frame so much.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you look at the front frame section there is a tube that sticks out from the frame. Sometimes the sway bar can hit it. That would be the first thing I would look at. If it is hitting it simply grind it flush with the frame. I have no Idea why jeep left that tube proud of the frame so much.
I removed the sway bar links entirely during my tests, but double checked this afternoon with everything hooked back up. No clearance issue there.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Are your brake caliper bolts tight?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Are your brake caliper bolts tight?
Main bracket is "rubber mallet" tight with blue loctite and the caliper bolts are also tight.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

That's funny. Same thing happened to me after I upgraded to a long arm. I can't pin point it either and I've done a few shakedowns too. I just figured it was the long arm Johnny joints.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this may be way off line BUT when I did my lift I was warned to make sure the coils where sitting in the little divots on the bottom or it could cause a loud clunk when turning n quick or off road. Is it possible when you put the levelers you shifted the coil just out of whack? Just spit balling here.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Zippythewonderslug
So this may be way off line BUT when I did my lift I was warned to make sure the coils where sitting in the little divots on the bottom or it could cause a loud clunk when turning n quick or off road. Is it possible when you put the levelers you shifted the coil just out of whack? Just spit balling here.
Yes I did. I noticed that about 2 weeks ago that the passenger side was out of the divot so I rotated that and still no change.

I did notice yesterday afternoon that the lower front control arms were "backwards" from how Teraflex recommends you to install them. They looked right with the labels and everything so I didn't think twice about it. I just got done fixing that last night, so I'll take it out this morning and see if it helps.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TurboRubixCube
Yes I did. I noticed that about 2 weeks ago that the passenger side was out of the divot so I rotated that and still no change.

I did notice yesterday afternoon that the lower front control arms were "backwards" from how Teraflex recommends you to install them. They looked right with the labels and everything so I didn't think twice about it. I just got done fixing that last night, so I'll take it out this morning and see if it helps.
Welp... that changed nothing. The search continues.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is one of the front shocks. Are the upper mounts seated all the way and tight? As stated above, with my long arm setup I occasionally have to tighten the rear frame mount bolts. When slightly loose it will make a clunk sound when I move from a dead stop - forward or reverse. Yours sounds more like an up/down movement. It could be ball joints as well. Lift the front tires off the ground about 2-3" (one at a time). Use a long piece of metal of some kind (3' long or longer) to lift up on the tire to see if there is any play in the ball joints.

Quick Reply: Pop/Clunk Sound