Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poorly installed lift on jku i bought, what a nightmare

Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poorly installed lift on jku i bought, what a nightmare

Wish i knew who installed it. I bought my jku in february at which time it already had a teraflex coil lift installed. I didnt pay much attention to the settings because the lift looked professionally installed with paint marked bolts and all. After some research i realized it was a 3" lift with adj frt lower arms and rr uppers. About two weeks ago i noticed bad inside wear on both frt bfg m/ts. Some looking and discovered how bad the toe out was. Had it adjusted and it developed a slight steering wheel shimmy at normal speeds and always had a bad vibration at highway speeds. Now i start thinking what else could be wrong.

With the new knowledge of jeep suspension setup i find that it doesnt have the adjustable frt trackbar, the rear track bar is in the wrong hole of the bracket. The front pinion is in the negative and the rr pinion has way too much positive angle. This has led to the frt cv boot on the driveshaft to start slingin grease everywhere. What a mess, thats what i get for assuming people know what the hell they are doing. In some cases i am glad that i have a new knowledge of suspension setup on these things but the money lost on repairs is not something i wanted to do this week. I prefer mods over repairs.

Basically what im getting at is that if you do buy a pre-modded jk definitely get on a creeper and crawl around under it either before buying or putting heavy miles on it. Look at what u got or have someone with some knowledge do it for ya. Some of these custom shops or backyard guys dont have a clue on final setup of the components. Its really a shame on me kinda thing for not doing it myself when first purchased.

Also does anyone have any insight on the front shaft cv joint where it meets the t/c. I saw a kit on Driveshaftparts.com but it doesnt list applications. Also if the rough country track bar is worth it for now.No planning on any hardcore wheeling for a while just need to get the frt centered this weekend. id like to do the teraflex down the road just need a cheap patch for now.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

The kit that they installed probably didnt come with the trac bar or they elected not to purchase it. I assume they just want to make the jeep look good and could care less about function. Alot of used dealer will do this.

My suggestions:
1. Buy a JKS or Teraflex trac bar front and rear. Make sure to get adjustable ones, you get what you pay for. Stay away from Rough Country.
2. Have the front end checked, ball joints, steering etc.... You may possible need new tires, considering you said they have started to cup, if you are lucky you can catch them before they get to bad.
3. Re-torque the jeep according to Teraflex's specs and have it realligned.
4. Drive shafts, buy new front and rear, they are a weak point in the JK's, especially lifted JK's. Look at JE Reel or Tom Woods.

If you have any questions feel free to PM, I would be happy to talk to you on the phone.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsharp704
My suggestions:
1. Buy a JKS or Teraflex trac bar front and rear. Make sure to get adjustable ones, you get what you pay for. Stay away from Rough Country.
Whats up with the bashing Rough Country??? I hear it all the time on the fourm. But I have yet to hear of any recient relative facts about Rough Country's products being worse than others. Please let me know if and why you feel so strongly about bashing Rough Country products on the JK?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thecoz
Whats up with the bashing Rough Country??? I hear it all the time on the fourm. But I have yet to hear of any recient relative facts about Rough Country's products being worse than others. Please let me know if and why you feel so strongly about bashing Rough Country products on the JK?
I am thinking about purchasing the 4" xseries RC lift. I would love to hear why hes saying no RC.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

i personally wasnt trying to bash them. i just know that their adj. track bar is half the price of everyone elses which was a huge relief for me after laying under my jk last night with the dollar signs adding up. couldnt find any pros or cons on it either. just wanted to make sure noone has had them strip out or crack
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't talking about the thread starter bashing RC just the first reply...
Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

oh i know, i just didnt want my statement being misread. does anyone know if forum members get a rc discount with a code or something
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wont "bash" them, but i will say that their products pretty much match their price. Their shocks (in my opinion) rode worse than stock, and started leaking very quickly. Upgrading to bilstein was like night and day.

I started with their 4" lift, and at this point the only thing i havent replaced from that lift is the springs, and as soon as i make a decision those will be going as well.

That being said, you really cant beat the price, just have realistic expectations about what you're getting and how it will perform.

-Adam
Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thecoz
The rough country bashing comes from people that have no clue. They payed more for their lifts and rag on a brand so they feel better about their purchase.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nortski3

The rough country bashing comes from people that have no clue. They payed more for their lifts and rag on a brand so they feel better about their purchase.
Not all of it. Some of it comes from those of us who started with RC because of the price and had nothing but problems.
In all fairness though, since my personal misfortune with them, I have heard that some of their products and customer service have improved.

Quick Reply: Poorly installed lift on jku i bought, what a nightmare