Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poison Spyder Rocker Armor

Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spyder Rocker Armor

Has anyone who installed this one there JK have any issues with rust?

I have these but am a little nervous about drilling 42 holes in the sheet metal to install them. 42 nutserts

What preventive measures can I take, other than drilling & then touching up the paint?

Anyone regret putting them on? How long did it take you??
Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

there should be a rubber "gasket" that goes behind them, if not check their website
Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Do a search. Someone did a wright up on this not to long ago. I to want to get these but not to excited about drilling all those holes.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Don't rush it and let the paint dry.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the 2-dr pieces with a friend who had experience with the nut-serts. He also had the tool to install them. It's like a pop rivet tool but larger. The supplied nut and bolt did not work for beans. I used the neoprene gasket from PSC and do recommend it. We held the metal piece up to the side and carefully marked all the hole centers with a felt tip. Then used a spring loaded punch to center mark them. Then drilled a small like 3/16", then drilled a 1/4" then drilled the full size (forgot). In some places you drill thru more than one layer of sheet metal. Be carefull. The nut-serts must be flush to the metal before compressing them. If not you will be trying to drill the whole mess out

I had no real concern about rust since it is a DRY HEAT in AZ

The result was good and I would do it again. Get the right tool! My rig is on the PSC site for the rocker protection and Brawler Lite skid. Do it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mods4823.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	178162  
Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

X2. Do not use the tool they send you to put the nut serts in. It screws up the nutsert and causes it to mushroom lopsided and not seat right.
As far as prevenitife measures I painted several coats of paint once I drilled and put the nut serts in. I also used the rubber gasket material. I actually went to a roofing center and got a reminent of some rubber self sealing rubber flashing that is stickey on one side and used that. To finish it off I got some black Silicone calk and calked along the top edge of the body armor so rain can not get down in there on a regualr basis.

I think If I had to do it again I would consider getting some industrial double sided tape then cut off the screws and glue them in. I got the brawler nockers and the bottom rail bolts onto the frame anyway.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm really not sure I am going to do this...seems like a quite a PITA. These damn nutserts are a nightmare. I just wish you could use something else to mount them.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Brawler Rockers. I was worried about the install so I paid a professional. I will credit PSC for their design....these are bomb proof. I selected them for the protection and the fact you can use a jack directly on these rockers. Now that i have them, I will admit, these are overkill for the type of wheeling I do. I also did the PSC evap skid plate.

The installers would not use the rubber gasket due to fit and concerns about moisture retention. They opted for caulking around the nutzerts and seamed the top of the body armor. The shop charged me 12 hours for the job @ 45/hour so an additional $540... yes, thats a lot of money and i could have used toward more mods, but i'm certain this has avoided more damage being done by me. I'll stick to the grill mods, cb install and the like.
Good luck with your choice....keep us posted.

Last edited by ridelots24; 07-04-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ridelots24
The shop charged me 12 hours for the job @ 45/hour so an additional $540
Holy crap. 12 hours seems like 8 to 10 hours too many. Granted I installed the rocker knockers, but my jaw dropped when I read 12 hours.

They look good though. And look really nice on your jeep.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

I F'd mine up bad. I have the Off Road Evo version. have stripped nut serts and holes drilled in the side that I've left there for months! I wish I knew what I was getting into. anyone in the new england area know who I can hire to fix this mess and install them correctly? I'm at the point where I just want it done right.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Rocker Armor