Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poison Spyder Rico Step DIY Kit - Opinions?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poison Spyder Rico Step DIY Kit - Opinions?

I am looking for a functional step for my Jeep, but with protection. I am considering the LOD, but at nearly $700, I am wondering if there is a more economical option. the stock Rubi rails offer plenty of prtection for the terrain around here, so far anyway, so i was considering this kit. I am not considering the ACE rails. i have seen too many comments about flexing into the body on those. Your opinions are certainly appreciated
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id like to know too. Im considering this kit or the rails from Jeep Swag
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the ace rails, if you also have the rubi rails they can only flex into them (about a 1/16th of an inch). I have these and have experienced no flex.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bigb
About the ace rails, if you also have the rubi rails they can only flex into them (about a 1/16th of an inch). I have these and have experienced no flex.
There is no step, correct? Just the bar? If I went with Ace, that is $400 shipped + the $150 that I could sell my Rubi Rails for = $550. LOD is $650 from Dave. To me, its worth the extra $100 to get the better product, + LOD attaches to the frame. the extra $100 to ship the ACE rails is really hurting them in my situation.

I appreciate your input. have you had the weight of the jeep on the rails "from the side", I guess like leaning on a rock or gulley wall? this is really what I am looking for in protection. the frame rail will get the under side threats.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hanson Rock Sliders

You might check out Hanson's rock sliders as well... Heavy duty rocker protection with a built in step. They are on my short list for side protection. I ran Kilby's on the LJ, and I like the basic style. Something to take a gander at anyway. Not cheap, but a good looking and quality product.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

I guess I should addin one other qualifier, I don't want to drill holes in the body of the Jeep. Thanks everyone for the opinions
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
There is no step, correct? Just the bar? If I went with Ace, that is $400 shipped + the $150 that I could sell my Rubi Rails for = $550. LOD is $650 from Dave. To me, its worth the extra $100 to get the better product, + LOD attaches to the frame. the extra $100 to ship the ACE rails is really hurting them in my situation.

I appreciate your input. have you had the weight of the jeep on the rails "from the side", I guess like leaning on a rock or gulley wall? this is really what I am looking for in protection. the frame rail will get the under side threats.

Thanks in advance
My Wife and kids use them as a step "thats the reason that I bought them". And yes I have used them against rock both from the side and bottom, and aside from a few scratches I noticed no damage. I agree there are alot of nice options out there, and if I had the money I would of probably bought some other brand. I would put the ace rails on again if given the oppurtunity, especially for the price, and I like the way they look with the Rubi rails.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Bigb
My Wife and kids use them as a step "thats the reason that I bought them". And yes I have used them against rock both from the side and bottom, and aside from a few scratches I noticed no damage. I agree there are alot of nice options out there, and if I had the money I would of probably bought some other brand. I would put the ace rails on again if given the oppurtunity, especially for the price, and I like the way they look with the Rubi rails.
That is what I needed to know, thanks again
Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

I guess I don't know if you are still interested in these or not, but here are mine. They work good for my application, but they do flex a little just from stepping on them. If I remember right, I think PSC highly recommended body armor to go along with these. I'm guessing you will end up with rocker damage if this is the only protection you are using.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi

Well, after a quote of $960 for the rails, welding and powder coating, I am going to pass. I will just pony up for the LODs and do the install myself. Thanks for all the input

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Rico Step DIY Kit - Opinions?